Question about my Data Usage (screenshot included)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g00dbye, Jul 15, 2008.

1. g00dbye macrumors member

g00dbye

So, I was looking at my data usage today on the AT$T website and I noticed something strange. Initially, I signed up for 1500 texts a month (that damn AT$T rep coaxed me into, plan on dropping to 200 next month). But I'm seeing two boxes: both for Text/IM Messaging. The only difference is that one says SMS 50 DOM (I'm guessing this means domestic?) and the other says 1500 MSGS. I've texted quite a few times and I've been using the AIM cliently regularly. My question is, why hasn't AT$T been billing me from the 1500 texts? This slightly scares me because it leads me to believe they are charging per AIM client text or some other penalty left the small print for me to be left paying for. Can anybody clear this up for me or at least tell me it will be okay? Haha. The screenshot is below. Thanks! -Brian

[​IMG]

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

the aim client on the iphone is supposed to taken from your data usage. not texts.

or something else is up

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Not to state the obvious, but it appears you are being charged extra as if you went over your text limit. I think you might want to call AT&T. It might be possible AIM is causing this, but idk... Doesn't look good to me...

4. higgalls macrumors regular

Wouldn't it simply be that you get 2 free sets of SMS's? It is using up the 50 free ones first, and will then go into the 1500 free ones after that?

5. g00dbye thread starter macrumors member

g00dbye

Do you get first 50 free with the activation of a new plan or something? If that's the case, I'm thrilled.

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I don't think so...

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Did you have texting before you upgraded to the new iPhone?

The 50 could be your prorated texts. (Basically from now, until your new bill starts)

I could see this because you had 200 texts before, and you probably had a week until your next bill was due (you bought the iPhone a week before your billing cycle ended if that makes sense) so they gave you 50 texts.

8. g00dbye thread starter macrumors member

g00dbye

Yes I did have 200 SMS before I reactivated my plan. I'm hoping the first 50 are just left over or given to me.