Question about my Intel Macpro logic board.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mrbill317, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Mrbill317 macrumors regular

I want to swap motherboards from one machine with cpus attached to another machine.
    Is it difficult?

I have a 2.66ghz case that got damaged and I want to put the upgraded processors/logic board in my case.

Would it be easier to swap cpus or logic boards with cpus?

Thanks guys

2. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

2.66 means current gen mac pro? Well in that case the cpu and memory are all contained on a riser card, meaning al you have to do to swap the guts is swap the riser card.

What's your old mac pro case? You need to give a lot more details

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

The question doesn't make any sense to me. Upgraded implies you still have the old set. It also implies an older machine. By your description I count 2 cases but one is broken - how badly we don't know. And there are no goals stated!

What total parts do you have and what is it you want to do?

4. Mrbill317 thread starter macrumors regular

No

The 2.66 is not the new one its the 2xdual core
    Both units are the late 2006 models.

The 2.66 machine has a really messed up case and I wanted to take its logicboard and or just processors and upgrade my 2x2.0 c2d machine.

I will prob put the 2.0 guts in the messed up case and give it to my nephew.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Man still making us guess everything.

So if my guessing skillz are up to par, you have a 2006 2.0 GHz with a good case and a 2006 2.66 with a bad case and you want the 2.66 in the 2.0 case? Right?

If so just move the processors over. Everything else between those two machines are identical AFAIK.

6. Mrbill317 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but what Im asking is if its easier to do the mb as well or just the processors. That way I dont have to unmount those massive heatsinks

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I would think you'd want to tear it down to swap the processors. processor swap is easy enough. Motherboard, seems to me, would require all the steps of the processor swap and then some.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

HERE is a picture set of an applecare in home service replacement of the logic board. As you can see, there are clearly pictures of the removal of the heat sinks. Just switch out the processors. It's not difficult.

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I agree with Bozz except I think you could swap MBs without removing the CPUs..

CPU Swap 1 hour.
    MB Swap 1.5 hours. (leave CPUs in)

I've replaced CPUs but not the MB so far.

10. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

i've replaced logic boards and the problem is it's not as smiple as you think due to massivly insane cable management in the MPs.. i'd say do CPU swap or just live with an ugly case