Question about my internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MythicFrost, Oct 28, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Alright, I'm wondering what makes my internet go slow when my dad is uploading something or sending an e-mail.
    According to Speedtest.net I have a download speed of 2.1MB/s and upload of 0.03MB/s (megabytes not megabits).
    I just did a test while dad was uploading and got very similar results if not the same, except it said my ping was 4302 ms, compared to 26 ms I got from re-running the test after the upload was finished. I'm pretty sure the server was the same, I think I would have noticed if it wasn't.

Does anyone know why it goes slow, I don't really understand it, although I imagine it has something to do with the high ping but I don't understand why or how it effects it.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As your internet upload speed capabilities are very low (30KB/s) compared to your download speed (2.1MB/s, 70 times faster than your upload speed), you will run into slow downs during upload phases.

As a website is being downloaded, some information also gets uploaded, to give the server, from which the site is downloaded, information on how much and what is already downloaded.
    So during uploads, the server from which you download some website, will not get information fast enough, so the download is relatively small. It won't happen during downloads of bigger files as far as I experienced.

Was that understandable?

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yes very clear and informative, thank you.
    So I definitely should get my parents to invest in a plan with a higher upload speed,
    what is a good upload speed so that it won't interfere with other internet activity as much, do you have any idea? or will it not help because the upload uses as much of the upload bandwidth as it can?
    I think that's right too, iirc downloading large files would be fine, or does it to communicate (uploading) with the website/server it's downloading from?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As a bigger file is only one file, and a website several if not even hundreds of files, the information sent back to the server is not as much for one file as for many files.

As for convenient upload speed: I have upload speeds of up to 120KB/s and download speeds of around 1.6MB/s, and when I upload something, it will take the whole available speed it can get, it will be just faster and gets over sooner. You could also restrict the upload speed, if the upload is handled by an app that is capable of doing so.

Is your father uploading all the time? And what size do those files have?

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yes e-mailing large files often (5MBs sometimes), and uploading files that are around 20MB.
    EDIT: sometimes there can be several of those 20MB files I think.