Question About My iPhone 5S........

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Curious couple if questions about my 5S.

My model number reads ME296C/A. Which is Canadian correct?

When I google that model it states it's an unlocked version. However, when I pop a tmo sim in, it asks for validation proving it's locked. Can't unlock it from att since I'm still under contract. Just found it weird that this model number is for a Canadian 5S and not att.

Do they sell these models here as well as Canada?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

When I google that model it states it's an unlocked version. However, when I pop a tmo sim in, it asks for validation proving it's locked. Can't unlock it from att since I'm still under contract. Just found it weird that this model number is for a Canadian 5S and not att.

what website gave you that result? Are you sure its reliable?

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here

Yes you are correct.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
He didn't say where he got it. If it was used or sold on ebay or CL.
If he got it under AT&T contract then it shouldn't be a Canadian model. Unless they use the same model numbers?
Forgot to mention it was a replacement from the apple store......

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Your responses make it more confusing.
Is it an iphone tied up under contract with a specific carrier?
Where did you buy it and what countries Apple store did you get it replaced?

I bought my og iPhone 5S from my local mom and pops wireless store here in NY. Got it replaced at a local apple store here in NY. I live in NY.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Ok, when you bought it was it locked to a certain carrier or unlocked?
I didn't buy it as an unlocked device. Just asked if it's att and he said yup. He did mention something about it being unlocked for international though which I didn't really get.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I didn't buy it as an unlocked device. Just asked if it's att and he said yup. He did mention something about it being unlocked for international though which I didn't really get.
No, AT&T locked iphones are NOT unlocked for international use.
So does it work with AT&T sims? And if its an AT&T locked iphone then why do you expect it to work with Tmobile?

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
No, AT&T locked iphones are NOT unlocked for international use.
So does it work with AT&T sims? And if its an AT&T locked iphone then why do you expect it to work with Tmobile?
It definitely works with att service. Judging from the link I provided earlier with the model number details...it's states it's a Canadian unlocked device. So I thought it was unlocked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It definitely works with att service. Judging from the link I provided earlier with the model number details...it's states it's a Canadian unlocked device. So I thought it was unlocked.
Nope.
When you get a replacement from Apple you don't get an unlocked iphone when you hand in a locked AT&T iphone. You get the same lock/unlock properties. When they enter the serial number in their system to do the exchange is all handled automatically.
Wishful thinking:)

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Nope.
When you get a replacement from Apple you don't get an unlocked iphone when you hand in a locked AT&T iphone. You get the same lock/unlock properties. When they enter the serial number in their system to do the exchange is all handled automatically.
Wishful thinking:)
Clearly I was simply asking if the model number they have for Canada sell over here. It does appear to be a Canadian 5S. What is the model number for att 5S's?

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
New York
My next question would be how att can lock a phone that is for Canada? Lol the world may never know...

http://swappa.com/listing/QVH769/apple-iphone-5s-unlocked

Same exact phone......

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.