Question about my MBP Screen, possible defect?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GuettaMan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. GuettaMan macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just was just wondering if anyone here has had an issue with their MBP screen similar to mine.
    My retina MBP is covered with these white spots and I've noticed this since I first bought it. I have had it for 3 months and now more are appearing on the screen and there are lots of them. The best way I can describe it is they look like a mini iSight camera, or snow! I have tried cleaning it with the cloth which came with it but it does not remove them.

I have spoke to support and they said I should take my Macbook to the genius bar and have gave me an appointment. But I had a question about this. If I take it to the genius bar and they discover I need a screen replacement, would there be a big upfront cost for replacement on the day? I've heard screen replacements for Macbooks aren't cheap. Mine is under warranty though.

So has anyone else had a similar problem and is going to the Apple store the best option?

Thanks!

2. JulesK macrumors 6502

Go to the Genius Bar

I don't have that issue (and haven't seen something similar on the 5 MacBook Pros I've owned over the years, including two rMBPs), but there is nothing to lose going to the Genius Bar. If it's truly a defect, I suspect that the store would likely just replace it, but it's also possibly that they will send it in for repair. Regardless, back up everything before going in. If they want to charge you because they determine it's not a defect, you can always walk out.

I've been lucky. Never had an issue on the MBP screens over the years, and I recently fired up my old 2008 17" MBP and was surprised by how nice that screen looked. I have a refurb 24" ACD that has a couple of dead/stuck pixels, but if you asked me to point them out, it would take me a while to find them, because I've never noticed in use.

What you have, however, sounds like a real defect/problem.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have seen a few other people describe the same kind of thing. Some have said, that it was due to the coating coming off the screen.

If your MBP is still under warranty and the problem is not of your doing, there should be no cost to have it repaired or replaced. If your MBP is not under warranty, the Genius Bar will assess your MBP and then tell you how much it will be to repair.

4. GuettaMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. Well I have been cleaning the screen with the cloth harder and it seems to have got most of these spots off, so I daresay I might not have cleaned the screen effectively beforehand. But nontheless I will still keep a lookout if they crop up again. Thank you for the Genius Bar info as well!

5. NYHartChapp macrumors newbie

I think I've got a similar problem. Bought my MBP with retina display last month and have noticed a number of small blemishes have appeared on the screen. They most closely resemble the effect one would get if applying a protective screen to an iPad/Phone and having a particule of dust on the surface that creates a mini air bubble. Don't know how that could be on my MacBook, since I haven't applied a protective screen. Have an appointment with Genius Desk on Friday, but thought I'd post this in case others have similar issues. Thanks.

Newbie to these boards.

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

They aren't uniform in position are they? I'm thinking perhaps marks left by the corner of the keys whilst it's closed?

7. NYHartChapp macrumors newbie

Nope. Random pattern and no uniform size.

8. NYHartChapp macrumors newbie

Here's a photo of my screen.

Attached Files:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To me it looks like you sprayed the display with something, maybe even to the point that the coating is coming off.

10. NYHartChapp macrumors newbie

Hi Mike,

Nope, in fact quite the opposite. Running a finger lightly across the white blemishes and you feel a slight, but noticeable "bump". As I said in my original post, it looks and feels like a particle of dust or air pocket beneath a protective cover screen. But since I've not done that, I don't know what could have caused it. Unless Apple puts some kind of protective screen on at the factory?

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Repairs within the warranty period are free unless caused by user neglect/misuse. That's how all warranties work. I don't get why you're afraid of this costing money?