Question about my new 2016 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TorontoJen, Jun 24, 2016.

1. TorontoJen macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I just bought a new 12" 2016 MacBook for portability reasons. Just the entry level model, nothing fancy. I really love it, but I had to exchange it after eleven days after trying to get help with AppleCare.

I use Google Play Music through Safari for streaming music, and Ulysses (it's a text app) for my writing. These things are the only thing I really use on this computer, both at the same time.

I used both for almost two weeks with no issues. However the past two days, after a half an hour of usage, I had trouble with the bottom right of the computer (this is on the palm rest, not the bottom) getting so hot that I couldn't even place my palm on it. This is running the computer on battery power, on a wooden desk.

I made sure all apps were updated, didn't see anything unusual on activity monitor, and even called Apple Care and they went through all of the resets and diagnostics. Needless to say nothing they did solved it, so I exchanged it for another one at the store after telling the guys there what was going on.

I honestly have no idea what is even ON the bottom right of the macbook, other than battery. And it's strange that that side got hot and not the other.

Do any of you have this problem with the bottom right side becoming really hot? Is this something that is common for this computer since it doesn't have a fan? I wanted to list my usage scenario, as I thought it was pretty light so I don't think I'm overly taxing the machine.

Also, I notice a weird vibration when I'm charging the computer and using it at the same time. If I run my hand over the palm rest or on the top of the computer, it vibrates. I'm guessing this is an issue with the plug, and I'm hoping it's not dangerous, as the other one did that too.

Thanks for any insight. This machine is just so much fun, and I really love the weight and size. It's perfect for my portability needs. I was just disappointed it grew that hot and I couldn't fix the issue.

Thanks for any insight!

Jen

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Jen,

I think you just had a faulty battery cell, as it's made up of several tiered batteries that one must of been overheating as you note there is nothing else down there

[​IMG]

Going by posts here only a few have noted battery issues, shame AppleCare was not helpful, still you have a new one now and can keep an eye on it and at 11 months think about buying AppleCare for extended coverage

The vibration you can feel is common place on many low voltage electrical goods that are not earthed especially aluminum ones, it's not dangerous and you will be surprised how many appliances are like this, soundbars, HiFI, etc the lighter you touch and stroke you can feel the tingling in your finger tips, it can be resolved if it bothers you by using a 3 pin plug normally and not a 2 pin. If you get this on say a washing machine it is dangerous but not on appliance that have transformers.

3. TorontoJen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your response. The faulty battery cell makes perfect sense. I forgot about the tiered aspect of the battery cells. I'd never experienced the vibration thing, so I thought I'd check in on the forum and see if anyone else experienced it.
    Even the apple guys at the store said it was better to exchange the computer. I will for sure be getting Apple Care on this, absolutely! To be honest, even though I carry it around in a sleeve, it worries me to not have a hard case on it, but I'm not sure putting a case on something this thin would be a good idea. I just wish the feet were a bit more grippy.

Thanks again,
    Jen

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Jen

I advise against a hard case, my wife use to use one as it got a little un-combatable on bare skin when using on her lap, she started to use a cushion in between instead but sometime it would cause the rMB to overheat as the heat dissipation plate is on the bottom and I guess the cushion was inhibiting this. A hard case may also inhibit this especially some that do not have vents and if they have vents they then become dust traps

I have never noticed it sliping other than on glass coffee table that had just been wiped clean