Question about my new Macbook...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SKOTTIEG23, Feb 25, 2008.

1. SKOTTIEG23 macrumors newbie

Hey all- long time reader- first time poster. I've recently purchased a new Macbook 2.2 and didnt bother upgrading the ram from apple ( Are you surprised?). For the first week of ownership i was averaging about 4 hours or more of battery life while running the basics. After the first week my new ram showed up that i purchased off the internet. I took advantage of a great deal and put in the max amount of 4 gigs. Every since then ive noticed a little less battery life while running the same programs (Closer to 3 hours). Could this be a result of the higher RAM? I've looked around on here and could find anything posted about this already. Thanks for your help!

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

there has been talk of that in the macbook forums over the past week or so, its most likely from the extra power consumption from the extra ram, everything you add is going to eat up more power, ram dosent power itsself..though thats kind of a big drop

3. SKOTTIEG23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me- I guess im not really surprised that it dropped, but i just didnt expect such a drop

4. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

How many and what type of applications are you running?

5. SKOTTIEG23 thread starter macrumors newbie

For the most part its limited to internet browsing with maybe iTunes running in the background. I may also be running SiriusMac or iChat. So maybe 3-4 apps running at a time.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

There has been discussion over whether more RAM decreases your battery life. I believe it does have some effect, but how much is anyone's guess. I still have only 1GB of RAM because I tested out all the applications I wanted to run and everything ran fine with just 1GB. My laptop runs for over five hours.

Though, from your post it seems like the additional RAM may have a large impact on your battery life.