Question about my Stolen MBP and someone reusing it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djjavero28, May 25, 2012.

1. djjavero28, May 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2012

djjavero28 macrumors newbie

My MB PRO got stolen last thursday, i had it remotely wiped via iCloud i felt contented now, but is it possible that they can just remove the hard drive and fresh install OS, im just afraid of the idea...

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

First off, please use more meaningful thread titles.

To the point: They don't even need to install a new hard drive. If you have an install medium (DVD or thumb drive) you can erase the internal disk and reinstall.

Sorry for your loss, BTW.

3. djjavero28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

:( I thought that if I use iCloud to remotely wipe my Mac it would be non-usable forever... stupid me!

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Nope all it does is delete all you files. The thieve cannot do read you private files unless he already did so, or removed the drive before he connected to the internet.
    The only way to protect a Notebook against illegitimate use that thieve cannot really get around is a UEFI level password. Those are saved on a chip in the logicboard. Without changing the logic board or the password nobody can start up the notebook. If he stole it while it is in standby he could still use it until he needs to restart. He couldn't reinstall a new OS or do any updates or anything and he'd also not know that a restart would cripple the notebook until he does so.
    It is unbreakable in any meaningful way. The thieve could then only dismantle the notebook and sell the parts save the logicboard which can only be dumped into the trash.

iCloud wipe is only for data protection of previously unencrypted drives. Not very safe because all he has to do is remove the drive or save the data somewhere else before he connects to the internet. Everybody interested in the data and with some grey cells would do that. iCloud wipe really only helps against stupid thieves that weren't really interested in your private data in the first place.

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

As long as your data is safe, quit worrying about it. Claim it on homeowners or renters insurance, get a new one and move on.

Worrying isn't going to help and you wiped your data so nothing should bite you in the ass (i.e. identity theft).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iCloud wipe only protects your data from being accessed, it does not prevent the thief from using the computer.

Sorry about your loss

7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

No. But your personal data is wiped and they will not have access to it now. So you did the smart thing. Don't think you're stupid for doing something actually very smart.

Where I work it happens all the time. People steal blackberry's and laptops. It happens. You're not stupid for it happening. It is very costly though and it sucks.

8. djjavero28, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

djjavero28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

Thanks for all your answers, I just thought that using iCloud to remote lock and remote wipe my Mac would make it unusable, it sucks to think that a simple usb or dvd Lion installer could make them the new owner of my mac, anyways as you guys said, i have to move on, save and buy a new one...

9. Mojo1 macrumors 65816