Question About Nano SIM Card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dan50, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Dan50 macrumors regular

When purchasing iPhone from Apple Store, is nano SIM card included?

2. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

3. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

If it's unlocked version of IPhone, where can I get the nano SIM card at?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If your current phone doesn't use a nano then you should talk to your provider about swapping your number onto a new SIM.

5. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

Does this mean the carrier should give me SIM card?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

i want to make sure, is the SIM card that's inside iPhones the ones that will have "Verizon" or some phone carrier on it at the top corner of the screen? SIM card is just for making phone calls, nothing to do with apps or anything else?

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

You you need a SIM card to activate the phone.

The phones should come with a SIM card unless you are getting the SIM-free version (which isn't out yet for the iPhone 7 line of phones).

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That's correct. SIM card is provided by the cellular carrier service, not your hardware vendor (Apple). Celullar Carrier=to make phone calls, get to Internet via the cellular network.

Technically, you should be able to use your phone sim-less like an iPod, access Internet through WIFI, run your music App playing your local music library etc. but I hear on a brand new phone, it won't let you proceed to do those other things without a SIM. Un-confirmed.

10. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

So For iPhone 7, if I want to get that one at the Apple Store, would it have no SIM card in it? I'm confused

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

There are no SIM-free versions of iPhone 7 models, so the phone you would get should have the SIM of the carrier that is associated with the phone you are getting (like Verizon, for example).

12. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

I was also thinking of buying iPhone at Apple Store when I'm visiting Europe. Does that mean that whenever I come back to the U.S, I wouldn't be able to use carriers like Verizon since it would already have a SIM card carrier that would only work in Europe?

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Primarily that would depend on whether or not the phone is unlocked. Not quite sure what the particular policies in relation to that when it comes to options available in Europe.

14. Mrbobb, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

Mrbobb macrumors 601

First off, you must make sure Apple EU offers some sort of world wide warranty, because if not and something happens when you came back to the U.S., what you gonna do, fly back to EU to get it fixed? 2nd, as already mentioned by others, the iPhone7 is currently sold with carrier attached, not unlocked/any carrier, Apple often do this with new products and you can't get a fully unlocked phone until some months later. Say you get a Vodafone iPhone in the EU, only Vodafone will be able to unlock it for you, and this can be a major hassle trans-continental. iPhone 6/SE you can buy fully unlocked now.

Why do you want to buy phone in the EU, EU tariff is more expensive. The cheapest place in the world to buy electronics, including smartphones is in the ole U.S. of A.

Unless you are posting from Qatar, in which case I don't know anything.