Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Are most of the stock apps now entirely on the watch? For example, Maps? Can I get directions without having to be paired to an iPhone (as long as I am within range of a Wi-Fi network)? Can I FaceTime Audio without being paired to an iPhone?

For other apps, like Twitter, can I also use them to their fullest without being paired to an iPhone?

I read a while back that logic still needs to be loaded from the phone. If that's the case, then watchOS 2 doesn't bring true native app support. I hope someone can clarify this.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
wOS2 brings native support. Remember Maps, Twitter, FaceTime and...running on the iPhone are native but still require an internet connection to work. Native doesn't necessarily mean independent of all connections. It means the code of the main program is located on the :apple:Watch instead of being loaded each time.

Last edited:

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
wOS2 brings native support. Remember Maps, Twitter, FaceTime and...running on the iPhone are native but still require an internet connection to work. Native doesn't necessarily mean independent of all connections. It means the code of the main program is located on the :apple:Watch instead of being loaded each time.

I understand (and I stated this in my OP). I'm just wondering if these apps now work fully, independent of an iPhone, as long as the watch has a Wi-Fi connection. Can I get navigation on my watch without my phone? Can I FaceTime audio without the phone? Can I get my email without my phone?

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
The watch is using your wifi connection to connect to your phone, not directly to the internet. So no, the watch still needs your phone to do those tasks, as far as I understand it.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The watch is using your wifi connection to connect to your phone, not directly to the internet. So no, the watch still needs your phone to do those tasks, as far as I understand it.

The Watch can already connect directly to the internet over wifi (without a phone present at all) for many tasks including iMessaging and reading Email.

I'm with the OP... does anyone know wether Facetime Audio, Maps, Weather, etc. work without a phone now too?

Reactions: viperGTS

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
The Watch can already connect directly to the internet over wifi (without a phone present at all) for many tasks including iMessaging and reading Email.

I'm with the OP... does anyone know wether Facetime Audio, Maps, Weather, etc. work without a phone now too?

Apps will be allowed to use WiFi directly from the router without going through the paired iPhone. However, native apps does not mean independent apps. Even native apps are limited in what they can accomplish without an iPhone. Anything with moderately heavy processing will still be required to run on the paired iPhone, for instance. And Maps won't work for directions since you'll still need the iPhone's GPS. WiFi positioning is inaccurate and I'm willing to bet it is not available on the Watch.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Apps will be allowed to use WiFi directly from the router without going through the paired iPhone. However, native apps does not mean independent apps. Even native apps are limited in what they can accomplish without an iPhone. Anything with moderately heavy processing will still be required to run on the paired iPhone, for instance. And Maps won't work for directions since you'll still need the iPhone's GPS. WiFi positioning is inaccurate and I'm willing to bet it is not available on the Watch.

I've actually used Maps before without my phone on OS 1.0, but it couldn't load any additional map data since it the app didn't run natively. It was also able to determine my location as I moved, without my phone.

Can someone who is running the GM of watchOS 2 confirm/deny this? I would really appreciate it.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I've actually used Maps before without my phone on OS 1.0, but it couldn't load any additional map data since it the app didn't run natively. It was also able to determine my location as I moved, without my phone.

Can someone who is running the GM of watchOS 2 confirm/deny this? I would really appreciate it.
The Apple Maps app DOES run natively. However I believe all map data is passed through the iPhone after requesting it from the internet. An internet connection is required to load new map data and then passed through the iPhone.

It is likely Map data requires a lot of processing which is done in the iPhone.

Reactions: omgitscro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.