Question about neoprene sleeve for AC adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gerardo, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Gerardo macrumors newbie

I found a seller here who offers neoprene sleeves for the AC adapters (as a side product of their Macbook neoprene sleeves), but there's a picture in his website that shows the computer turned on and connected to a wall plug, and the adapter has the neoprene sleeve on. I was wondering if that wouldn't actually overheat the adapter and become a problem. :confused:

[EDIT]: That neoprene sleeve for the adapter is only $6 bucks. I should get it, right?

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Without taking a look at the design of sleeve, it is a little tricky to speculate on whether it is good or bad to have that particular sleeve on while the power brick is in use.

But that being said, I would always keep the brick bare, even if the sleeve is designed otherwise.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I wouldn't use it with the sleeve on. It will definitely overheat and cause damage. Your MagSafe should follow the same basic rules of heat dissipation as your MB/MBP. Use it on a hard surface like a table, book, hard floor and let it have plenty of ventilation.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

$6 is very cheap. I don't believe I would leave a neoprene cover on the magsafe adapter (while plugged in) to act as an insulator, this could overheat the transformer.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have one for my work laptop and would NOT recommend using it with a neoprene cover on it. The AC adapter for my Vaio gets quite hot.

6. skuzzy macrumors member

Don't get it, putting anything on/around something like an AC adapter which is going to get hot is asking for trouble. Yes, it may be $6 but it really isn't worth the hassle, especially if it causes your adapter to get so hot that it fries itself.

7. Gerardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I'm having trouble locating the picture I mentioned in the OP, but this kind of what it looks like (except that it's shaped for a MagSafe):

[​IMG]

8. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Based on the image, I would definitely not leave it on while using the power adapter.

9. Gerardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think it's worth to buy it just to use it when I transport the lap? Without using it when the power brick is connected?

10. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yes, for transportation, I might be willing to spend 6 bucks and get it for the brick. My brick is heavily scratched up, and not that I mind it all that much, but if 6 bucks can save that, I'll jump in.

11. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

A one quart zip lock bag works perfectly for transport and costs pennies and may be in your kitchen now.