Question about new camcorder formats

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Luis Ortega, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I am in the market for a new camcorder as my wonderful Sony TRV900 is getting on in years and I worry that it may die one of these days.

I was reading that camcorders that record HD are no longer limited to being PAL or NTSC, but I still know very little about the latest gear available.

Can anyone please advise on whether this is true and if so, which sort of recording format is considered best- in terms of using mini dv, hard disk or something else?

I also have a Sony GVD300 dv vcr which I use to digitize my tapes into the video editing programs (I use FCP and Premiere CS3) rather than use my TRV900 for such things, so if possible, I would like any new camcorder to still record to mini dv tape, assuming that my GVD300 could handle mini dv tape shot in HD and that mini dv tape is a good format for HD to begin with.

I am in the UK and my gear is PAL, but I travel a lot to the US and often need to send edited projects to people in the States in NTSC format. I also use a mac pro 8 core 2.8.

Can anyone also please suggest some good camcorder models in the prosumer, high end consumer range that would be a good choice, or suggest a site where I can do some serious research into all of this?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

2. HDhead macrumors newbie

True. PAL and NTSC do not apply to High Definition. However, there are differences in HD standards in use in Europe and U.S.

See the list.

As you can see, unfortunately, the decades old compatibility problems between standards were not solved with the advent of HD. The reason for this is precisely the legacy of standard definition frame rates. Standard definition in the U.S. runs at 29.97 frames per second and in Europe runs at 25 frames per second. Some of the HD frame rates relate to these base frame rates.