Question about new iBook battery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pistooli, Mar 2, 2012.

1. pistooli macrumors regular

I have purchased a new battery for my trusted iBook. However coconut Battery gives me the following information after the battery is installed (see pic).

Current battery capacity 95%??? It is a new battery, as loadcycle count is 1.

Is this correct, any it will reach 100% after a couple of carges?

Thanks for your reply and advise.

Attached Files:

2. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Battery's can lose there full capacity just sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold:(. Being iBooks have not been made since 2005 this New battery may have been on a shelf for 3-4 Years waiting to be sold. 95% is still very good:)

3. pistooli thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks you for your answer. I was thinking about something similar. Well, this is what I have to pay for using my beloved iBook, then. :)

4. stroked Suspended

stroked

5. pistooli thread starter macrumors regular

and after two days its only 85%... I doubt it is ok.

Attached Files:

6. pistooli thread starter macrumors regular

if you mean by calibration that I fully charged and then drained, then yes, I am doing it for the second time... but now it shows only 85% health. no good. :eek:

7. stroked Suspended

stroked

Where did you buy it? Can it be exchanged?

8. Xandros, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

Xandros macrumors regular

I don't know why I even bothered to write anything, since I'm obviously so incredibly wrong about Lithium Ion batteries and calibration cock-ups. Oh I do apologise, may your further calibration of these batteries work wonders for you in the future so that Apple can continue to rake in your money when the thing dies and isn't covered by your warranty because you're the one who killed it.

9. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

you're wrong. Apple recommends calibrating once a month. He did not hurt the battery by calibrating. Cycling your battery is normal.

10. Xandros, Mar 4, 2012

11. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Another fallacy. These batteries have a small circuit inside them, that prevents harm done from the calibration.

12. stroked Suspended

stroked

Ouch, why are you so insulting? We are to just take your word for this, with nothing to back it up? In January of last year, I replaced the battery in my iBook, with an off brand, and followed the instructions. So far it is holding up very well.

Attached Files:

13. pistooli, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

pistooli thread starter macrumors regular

I did receive instructions for the new battery, and it clearly said, to completely discharge it 3 times for the first 3 usages - like in good old Ni-Cd and Ni-MH days. I also believe that this battery has a circuit to prevent complete discharge, so no demage is done by doing it.

Lets see, what happenes now.

----------

Probably. It has 6 month warranty. I shall see what happenes now, and then make an inquiry with the supplier.

14. pistooli thread starter macrumors regular

I think it is time to ask for a replacement. 84% now, 3rd cycle count. :eek:

Attached Files:

15. Xandros, Mar 6, 2012

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

irrespective of calibration - cycle count of 3 and 15% lower than rated capacity = you were not sold a "new" battery.

how long the vendor had it on the shelf is irrelevant. if it isn't in "new" condition it shouldn't be sold as a "new" battery (maybe as "Clearance stock" or "as is" but not "new"). shelf time is a vendor supply chain issue - not your problem.

live with it, or take it back - if you can weaken a battery that much after 3 cycles of use, calibrated or not, something is wrong with it.

17. pistooli thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, I was thinking the same. I already contacted them, and they will take it back. :)