Question about new iMac for my dad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theman, Oct 2, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I helped my dad set up his new 24" iMac at work this weekend, and the thing is amazing...

anyways, he is apparently having some problems with it, and i can't go in to look at it for a few days, and have no experience with the new computer, so maybe you guys can help.

he says he left the computer on and didn't use it for about 2 hours. he came back and the screen was off and there was no indication that it's on. he presses some keys and clicks the mouse and still nothing. then he mashes the keyboard, nothing. then he presses the power button on the back, nothing still. holds down the power button, nothing. apparently the thing just won't turn on.

so my questions are,

1. what is it doing, is it asleep, or actually off?

2. if it's asleep, is there any indicator light on it?

3. how does he get it back on?

2. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

Have him unplug the iMac and plug it back in and press the power button.
    It has a sleep indicator light; A white light that pulses (fades in and out). The iMac should turn back on if you press the power button on the back.
    If it doesn't I would say you should take it in to an Apple Store, or call AppleCare and talk with them. They are generally very nice and helpful hope this gets sorted out.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

One of the reasons why I'm skipping the current generation of iMacs, such a basic feature like that really is needed...

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If the USB ports are powered in sleep, you could always plug in a USB-powered light.

6. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

there's no other explanation besides it's broken? hmm.

i will have him unplug it an see what happens. i'll keep you posted.

7. basherhp2112 macrumors member

basherhp2112

Energy Saver Settings

If you think that the new iMac is in Sleep Mode, try holding down the space bar to wake it up.

I also did a search using the Finder and found that the iMac comes with an 'Energy Saver Setting' that automatically puts the computer to sleep if inactive.

I have included a screen shot that might help you.

The sleep mode can be changed in this window as well.

To access the Energy Saver Setting navigate to the the following:

Macintosh HD, Applications, System Preferences, Energy Saver (Light Bulb icon)

Attached Files:

8. caseydude macrumors newbie

you should just be able to hit any key on the keyboard and it will awake mines does,if not take it in for repair.

9. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I'm speechless at this comment :confused::confused::confused::confused:

What happens if the next Mac is 2cm too tall? Will you be skipping that one too?

10. boardhead macrumors newbie

I have owned a new iMac for just over a week now, and I can say that it is an amazing machine. It just flies even compared to my not-so-old Mac Mini. This is my fifth Mac, not counting four at work, and it is head-and-shoulders above anything else I have ever used.

But you are right. I wouldn't have purchased it if I knew it didn't have a sleep indicator.

For those of you surprised by the last comment, please look up the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary. :rolleyes:

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The computer comes with phone support. Call Applecare at 800-275-2273 (in the US). They're very good about walking people through simple problems.

12. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok guys, just an update. i had him unplug it and wait a minute, and then plug it back in. it started right up. not sure what happened, because it didn't happen again when it automatically went to sleep today. i will probably have him turn of the auto sleep feature, i don't know. maybe it just encountered some sort of error when it was asleep. who knows. hopefully it doesn't happen again.

is holding the spacebar the only way to wake it, or can you press any key? i don't think he ever tried holding the spacebar. he did push the power button a bunch of times though...

thanks.

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The Intel Macs have a "Windows-like" hibernation feature which puts it into a deep sleep while saving all of your settings. Pressing the power button or any key doesn't always turn it back on. In settings you should be able to disable this feature.

14. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

I am sorry for the misinformation. I assumed they kept the sensor. That's a bit of a disappointment, I love to show it off to my friends :(.

15. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if it happens again, exchange it. that's not normal behavior, and you should not tolerate it on a brand new machine.