Question about new iPad and using att sim until verizon LTE is here

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jredecop, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jredecop macrumors 6502a

I had the original iPad with unlimited data and yesterday got the new iPad for verizon. LTE is not here yet, some time in the next 3-4 months is what we are being told. Anyways I activated my iPad with verizon and out of curiosity slapped my att sim out of my original iPad in there and like we have seen on the forums it works, ATT 4G. I haven't gone onto att website and updated my device yet, from what I understand if I don't do that att will cancel the data plan with that sim and I'd lose the unlimited data..my question is, if I update the IMEI/ICCID off my verizon iPad on att.'s end, will it then somehow mess that part up for me when we do get verizon LTE here and I want to stick the verizon sim back in? I've swapped a couple of times now and it always seems to switch networks fine. Im not sure if updating my IMEI/ICCID locks this iPad to att though.

Thanks for your help!!

2. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

So, the new iPad has both ATT and Verizon built into the same unit? I was a bit confused when I read that you can roam on either network with either iPad version, but in the US a Verizon iPad 3 will work on ATT 4G ??

3. jredecop, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

jredecop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup! Just dont want to somehow lock the device to att. Which I don't think is possible. Just want to make sure.
    Will not work on AT&T lte though

4. jredecop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Says device not supported when going into cellular data in settings, but it works...