question about new mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asuka99, Jul 10, 2013.

1. asuka99 macrumors newbie

so i just bought my first mac, and it is pretty sweet

no idea how to use it, but i like it a lot already

anyway, when i first powered it on, it went through like keyboard layout, etc

then it asked me to transfer files over from my windows pc. so i started doing that over wifi with migration assistant (music, movies, etc etc)

it was a lot of storage and i guess wifi is a slower way to go, and it said like 22 hrs

i got impatient and i clicked X on the migration assistant on my pc, which brought me back to the initial setup screen on the mac (set up keyboard, etc)

so i went through the setup again without migrating and it brought me to the desktop. so my q is, was all the data that was transferring deleted? or was it partially transferred and is stored somewhere on my mac?

i let it run for abt 5-10 mins and it was transferring music when i stopped it. i can't seem to find the files anywhere on the mac, but i also have no idea how to use my mac either! lol

when i go to "about this mac" it says audio 658.1mb, movies 45.2 mb, photos 484.8 mb, apps 5.23gb, other 29.83gb (714.17/750.42gb or 36.25gb used)

are these the default files that come with the os? or did i transfer over those 658mb of music? on my itunes the music appears to be blank so i'm guessing it deleted all the stuff it previously transferred over, but i am being ocd and i just wanna make sure

thanks for all your help guys

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Click on the finder icon in your doc (by default bottom of your screen) and it will list all your files there you have brought over. Once you are satisfied they are gone, connect by ethernet cable to your PC and run migration assistant again. Should be a lot quicker then.
    This is finder by the way. Like Windows explorer, only better!
    Enjoy your new Mac.

Attached Files:

3. asuka99 thread starter macrumors newbie

aah such a quick response. thanks !