Question about new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jack25, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jack25 macrumors regular

Jack25

Just bought a MacBook Pro. My previous mac's battery lasted just over 2 years before it completely went. What should I do with my new one to prevent this from happening again?

And one other question, should i charge the Mac as soon as I get it out of the box?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should use your computer how you want to and not base your usage patterns off of something pointless like preserving the battery.

3. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

A lot of people say different things, but in my experience, my batteries have lasted a really long time. Some will tell you to allow the battery to run down fully about once a week or once every couple weeks. I follow a different set of rules, which is to keep my computer plugged in as much as I can. Apparently, this isn't the best thing for a laptop, but it has certainly worked for me. The battery in my PowerBook lasted seven years and went from about a 3-hour charge to a 2.25-hour charge by the end of the computer's life. I think I had only 205 cycles in all that time.

It's probably good to charge the battery all the way up when you receive it. Most electronics companies recommend you do that before using the computer. You certainly aren't hurting anything by doing that.

----------

But maybe he/she wants to have a computer with a functional battery two years down the line....that might be their 'usage pattern'...

4. Jack25 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack25

Thanks for the info. Will charge up to 100% now. :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life. Also, don't leave it plugged in all the time, as that can shorten your battery's life. Batteries need to be used regularly to keep them healthy.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    It comes partially charged, so you can start using it right away, but Apple does recommend charging it fully when you first get it.

6. Jack25 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack25

Thanks for that. Really appreciated.