Question about new macbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hogpen, Jun 14, 2008.

1. hogpen macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy my first Apple computer this summer for college. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a macbook. I was wondering what you guys think the chances are that Apple releases the new macbook line before mid August?
    Obviously none of us know and I know this type of question is asked all the time, but I would still like to know what you guys think.
    And what kind of updates would you guess? Would 2.2 ghz and 2gb of ram for the lowest end model be unlikely?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Rumors are currently pointing to sometime in the July-September timeframe. Intel has delayed shipment of the processors/platform expected to be used in the new MacBooks until July 14th, and they won't ship in large quantities for several weeks after that. So mid-August is probably a bit iffy, but the revision might squeak in just in time for you.

As for the specs, the upcoming chips start at 2.26 GHz, so that's a reasonable expectation for the low-end. RAM is pretty cheap these days, so many users prefer to go straight to 4 GB. But you'd do that through a third-party vendor to save a boatload of money, so in that case, it doesn't matter how much RAM Apple ships with it.