Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
during the demo, they displayed how the iphone is going to deal w/ multiple programs being able to work without running in the background. it's my understanding, that multiple companies will just use one process ( through the regular cellular signal i think ), thus saving cpu usage and battery life.

so can i assume that these new services that are going to be offered w/ the 2.0 firmware will not work if you are using an unlocked phone? it seems to be that to be able to use these new features, you will have to be connected to the at&t network ...or am i missing something?

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
during the demo, they displayed how the iphone is going to deal w/ multiple programs being able to work without running in the background. it's my understanding, that multiple companies will just use one process ( through the regular cellular signal i think ), thus saving cpu usage and battery life.

so can i assume that these new services that are going to be offered w/ the 2.0 firmware will not work if you are using an unlocked phone? it seems to be that to be able to use these new features, you will have to be connected to the at&t network ...or am i missing something?

The data connection will be retained and maintained by Apple to your iPhone. The developer will have 3 options of notifying you (badge, audio, text overlay) when something is available. This information gets sent to Apple and Apple will send out the notification to your iPhone hence no background processes.

This wont be available until September so I would assume you wont see applications until end of September beginning of October.

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
so you're saying this data connection is not dependent on what carrier you're on? i think it would only work if you were connected to the at&t network. i'm using my iphone on tmobile now, and i seriously doubt that i would still be able to receive these notifications. hopefully i'm wrong though ;)

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
so you're saying this data connection is not dependent on what carrier you're on? i think it would only work if you were connected to the at&t network. i'm using my iphone on tmobile now, and i seriously doubt that i would still be able to receive these notifications. hopefully i'm wrong though ;)

It sounded to me like it would be made over IP, so it wouldn't matter about who the carrier was (and indeed would work over wifi). But I guess we'll see.

Phazer

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
It's actually pretty tricky.

Phazer made a good point, but then again, isn't 3G always on if the iPhone is on? Even though WiFi is on? You need to get calls and texts while you are on WiFi, so that means you are connected, unless of course those are pushed to you.

If that isn't the case, then what Phazer said is probably accurate.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
It will definitely be available through the cellular network as well as WiFi. Now with WiFi, they can't limit connections to it based upon different providers and such. But with the cellular network (EDGE & 3G) they could limit those notifications to just phones connected through "official" iPhone networks, but I say that would be quite sneaky and underhanded...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.