Question about new notification system (IM, txt, etc)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Love Juice, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Love Juice macrumors regular

during the demo, they displayed how the iphone is going to deal w/ multiple programs being able to work without running in the background. it's my understanding, that multiple companies will just use one process ( through the regular cellular signal i think ), thus saving cpu usage and battery life.

so can i assume that these new services that are going to be offered w/ the 2.0 firmware will not work if you are using an unlocked phone? it seems to be that to be able to use these new features, you will have to be connected to the at&t network ...or am i missing something?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

The data connection will be retained and maintained by Apple to your iPhone. The developer will have 3 options of notifying you (badge, audio, text overlay) when something is available. This information gets sent to Apple and Apple will send out the notification to your iPhone hence no background processes.

This wont be available until September so I would assume you wont see applications until end of September beginning of October.

3. Love Juice thread starter macrumors regular

so you're saying this data connection is not dependent on what carrier you're on? i think it would only work if you were connected to the at&t network. i'm using my iphone on tmobile now, and i seriously doubt that i would still be able to receive these notifications. hopefully i'm wrong though ;)

4. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

i would think you would have to be on an official carrier and tariff

like visual voice mail for example

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It sounded to me like it would be made over IP, so it wouldn't matter about who the carrier was (and indeed would work over wifi). But I guess we'll see.

Phazer

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's actually pretty tricky.

Phazer made a good point, but then again, isn't 3G always on if the iPhone is on? Even though WiFi is on? You need to get calls and texts while you are on WiFi, so that means you are connected, unless of course those are pushed to you.

If that isn't the case, then what Phazer said is probably accurate.

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

It will definitely be available through the cellular network as well as WiFi. Now with WiFi, they can't limit connections to it based upon different providers and such. But with the cellular network (EDGE & 3G) they could limit those notifications to just phones connected through "official" iPhone networks, but I say that would be quite sneaky and underhanded...