Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
This may sound like slightly a stupid question, do you think we will get a free OS when it comes out this summer?

I have a Air Ultimate '10

Jyby

Suspended
May 31, 2011
That would be crazy!

They would definitely have an edge on Microsoft!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That would be crazy!

It wouldn't be that crazy if you think about it. Major iOS updates are free. Why not OS X? The reason Mac OS X is so much cheaper than Windows is that Apple makes up for it with their hardware.

That said, won't happen.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
That would be crazy!

Most people don't buy a Mac because of price, so free OS updates wouldn't drag too many more people over to change.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Like any software company, Apple deserves to be paid for the thousands of hours that they put into developing their OS. If they decided to be nice and give us a deal ($30 Snow Leopard), that would be awesome, but I'm expecting the usual $129, since it's not just a minor upgrade like SL was from Leopard.

All this having been said...I'm not upgrading to Lion until/unless I'm forced by some software to do so. I'd love to be using some of the new features (Resume, Autosave, versions...Lion Server...) but Apple came up with Mission Control, which completely destroyed the way Spaces works for me and several others here.

If they give us the *option* (I know they don't care much for that word) of using MC *or* the old Spaces, I'd upgrade day 1.

Does anyone know of another virtual window manager software that's available for OS X? I saw one awhile back, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in many years...

YourHerojb

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
It will definitely cost money, but who knows how much.

There is rumors it will be cheaper than normal but It's doubtful that it will be as cheap as the snow leopard $29 upgrade since this is a much bigger update.

superericla

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
After the cost of getting a dev account dropped to $99 there's really no reason I can see that Apple would price it above $99. With a dev account you get the OS upgrade for the $99 you pay to be a dev.

willfurnell

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
After the cost of getting a dev account dropped to $99 there's really no reason I can see that Apple would price it above $99. With a dev account you get the OS upgrade for the $99 you pay to be a dev.

Actually, I thought that the final version was not released to Developers. Correct me if I am wrong. That would mean Apple could charge how much they wanted to.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Actually, I thought that the final version was not released to Developers. Correct me if I am wrong. That would mean Apple could charge how much they wanted to.

If the final version wasn't released to developers, how could they test their apps with it? That's why it always has been included with the developer program.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

It is. Developers also get access to beta builds of updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.