Question about new purchase.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jceaser, Dec 10, 2011.

1. jceaser macrumors newbie

I'm About to purchase a new 15 inch MBP, and was wondering, is it better to get it with the SSD drive in it, or purchase one after and install it. I see everyone looking at these Samsung 830 drives, and did not know if it was better than the drive Apple is putting in theres.

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Going with the Apple SSD is the worry free solution. The reliability seems excellent.

Apples SSD use SATA II speed (3 Gbps) while most aftermarket SSDs now offer SATA II speed (6 Gbps), which translates to twice as fast read and write speeds in benchmarks. For practical use, the difference is smaller... not sure if an average user would notice it.

3. jceaser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I was leaning towards the no hassle option. I just say everyone purchasing those Samsung 830 drives, and thought i was missing something.

4. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Price wise buy aftermarket. If you want it already done you will pay a premium.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Honestly, from my experience its much easier to buy the parts from apple, you will pay more, but in the end the level of service that is accompanied is well worth the price.

6. JT123, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

JT123 macrumors member

I have just ordered a Macbook Pro 15 from Apple, and have just ordered a OCZ Vertex 3 Max Iops. I have heard a lot of problems about the Samsung 830 on other forums where they are actually beach balling a lot (may have been resolved though

Even look at "the Samsung 830" thread, all the thread is about is issues, I wouldn't be going near one right now.

I have always liked speed that's why its the Vertex 3 for me.

So I would not be buying the old Toshiba drives from Apple, yes they support TRIM but the Vertex's and other Sandforce (not Samsung) have garbage collection so good that TRIM is no longer needed. They also have good warranties so if you have a problem just go back to them and not Apple. Apple also ridiculously overcharge for old parts. Mind you Max Iops Vertex 3 uses Toshiba Toggle NAND anyway.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Getting it with apple supplied components - no fuss no muss easy shopping. Everything is on the same warranty.

Downside of getting apple supplied components - typically more expensive and you have no say on the manufacturer. I usually get the bare minimum setup then upgrade the ram and storage (SSD) with the components that I think will work the best and its usually less then what apple charges

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not really. To add a 128GB SSD from Apple is $200, which is about what you would pay for an aftermarket SSD.