Question about Newspaper and Magazine subscriptions...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Molson1020, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Molson1020 macrumors regular

So I'm going to be buying my first iPad in the next couple weeks and one thing I'm looking forward to is having a subscription to the NY Times and some other magazines on there.

My one question though... it says the NY Times updates in the early AM with the latest news. Does it actually download this information, and by this, I mean can I start browsing through it while I'm on the train to work in the morning without a connection to the internet?

2. Zcott, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

Zcott macrumors 68020

Yes, it automatically downloads. If you want to test it out, download the Guardian iPad edition. It comes with three months free access, so don't worry about getting charged. It automatically downloads each night when a new edition is published at 6am.

Edit: should add that there's a toggle in the App Store settings to enable or disable this option.

3. Molson1020 thread starter macrumors regular

That's awesome! Another quick question though, do these downloads also include all the embedded media (videos, pics, etc.) also or are those "Connection" only?

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Certainly all the pictures are downloaded, but I'm not entirely sure about embedded video. I'll check with tomorrow's Guardian.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Ok, just checked. Embedded video is only available with a data connection, but pictures and other image galleries work fine.

6. secksthoi macrumors member

I was wondering why my NYT wasn't auto updating every morning.. Thanks for the tip!