Question about Nvidia issues / small bump in the bottom casing of my MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by triddent222, Aug 17, 2009.

1. triddent222 macrumors regular

Hello all,

About 2 days ago, I tried to boot up my MBP (2008, Nvidia 8600 model) but I had no video on my display. I tried plugging it to 2 external monitors, and they didn't work either. I did everything Apple suggested (resetting PRAM, etc) and finally decided to take it to an Apple Store.
    The guy at the Apple store ran some tests and he agreed that it probably was the Nvidia issue, but said he couldn't send my MBP in for repair because of "accidental damage" (see below for pics of the small bump). He recommended I call up Apple care and try to send it in myself.

Question: Should I open the MBP and try to fix the bump so the Apple repair guys don't have an issue with it? I'm not sure if that would void the warranty.

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/1000555k.jpg/
    http://img37.imageshack.us/i/1000556l.jpg/
    http://img220.imageshack.us/i/1000557s.jpg/

I've had that bump for over a year, and it was never an issue before.

Thanks for the help.

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

They wouldn't take it in because of that? Wow. That even surprises me.

3. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Go back and be polite but ask to see a manager, OR go to another store if you can.

that is not right. Apple makes these things out of one of the most unforgiving materials when it comes to dents and dings, they know that and they know the smallest bump can leave a shiner like that. No way should that be cause for a warranty void.

remember, not everyone that works at Apple is a genius. Some are quite ignorant in fact (just like any other retail store)

I called the store on Michigan Ave. in Chicago yesterday to ask if they had any of the 15" MBP's in stock with a Matte screen.

She said, "No sir, unfortunately the matte screen is only available on the 17" model."

so, as you can see, not all apple employees are completely informed. it may be that this guy is mistaken by what constitutes damage and what is wear and tear.

I would consider that wear and tear.

4. RumorHasIt.... macrumors member

That sucks!

Boy!, I had no idea that they would refuse to send it because of a small dent. This seems like a real suspicious way to avoid fixing macbooks; especially with the new ones being so susceptible to dings and dents.

As far as you being able to fix it, that doesn't seem like an easy task. You might do more damage that what's already there.

5. triddent222 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, the 2 stores close by are booked (the closest reservation available for one of them is the 20th). I'll try to drop by without a reservation I suppose.

I called Apple Care for a mail-in repair, but the guy said it takes approximately 46 days to get it done. School starts in a week or so, and I'll need my computer, so I'm not sure what to do.

This sucks.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

BS. 46 days? I haven't seen a repair take more than two weeks! Even if there is a large volume of repairs, 46 days? Pfft. I'd call back and try again.

7. triddent222 thread starter macrumors regular

I asked them to send me the box anyway. I was pretty sure it wouldn't take that long, but I certainly got scared. =\

8. Yellow818 macrumors newbie

I don't think a bump like that will case any problems. If they insist that is your fault, and refuse to repair. I will change my attitude, and say that is not an accident. It is done on purpose because it is a case mod. That concave is done is a very careful way. Hope this helps.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

I am certain the Applecare phone person would have "4 to 6 days" not 46.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

WOW, great catch!!:), I didn't think of that. I though "46" days didn't make sense. Yeah, I've never had an Apple repair take more than week.

11. triddent222 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, now I'm really confused:

I plugged in my MBP to a friend's via Firewire to use Target Disk Mode and make a backup. After copying about 16 gbs worth of Data, my MBP now boots up and everything seems to work O_O.

I'm assuming the heat made it work for some reason, but...this is really weird.

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

That is NOT a small blemish / shiner / dent. It took some force to deform the aluminum on the corner like that - a reasonable argument could be made that internal damage was done.

That said - a bad nVidia card is a known issue and if the test confirms a bad card it should be covered.

13. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Remove the casing and bend out that aluminum!
    I've done that on mine, worked great!
    Never had a single issue with it after.