question about o2 and there 200 mb usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thesheephair, Nov 17, 2007.

1. thesheephair macrumors member

When they scrapped this was it to the iphone contracts only ???

If i was to take out an o2 contract (not an iphone one) and have a the £7 50 bolt on does the 200 mb usage policy still apply to me ???

Or have they scrapped it all together ?

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

* A fair use of 200MB per month applies to the O2 Web Bolt On. A fair use of 3GB per month applies to O2 Web Max. See here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/tariffs/consumerdatabolton

3. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

O2 aren't daft. They knew the 200MB limit on iPhone tariffs looked bad. They relaxed that safe in the knowledge that most people won't have EDGE and you'll never hit that with GPRS. Simple.

To address the original question, I guess that 200MB enforcement remains to be seen.

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Absolutely! :D

5. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I've got Edge (most of the time - think I am on the errr.. edge of an upgraded area here), and in the first 24 hours of having the Phone (probably the most intensive period of usage), I've clocked up about 10MB of data usage (switch to WiFi for uTube for the sake of sanity). So extrapolating a a month of similar use that would put me out at 300MB of Edge usage - which I doubt I'd achieve in practice. Have to see what Monday brings though. I expect "the Office" will be interested in seeing what the iPhone can do. I don't think I'll be able to keep it hidden for long. Besides - that defeats the purpose of having a mobile phone. You have a mobile phone so you can leave it on your desk with the volume at max and then you wander off someplace while the thing rings incessantly, driving your co-workers mad with a selection of the worst possible ring tones guaranteed to destroy their concentration! This is my first mobile phone - and my chance to get my revenge at last! ;)

Browsing speed on Edge is quite good. WiFi is faster (4Mb cable model connection), but I think the processing power iPhone itself could be the limiting factor. I'm not sure a 3G iPhone would significantly outpace the 1st generation model (assuming Apple don't use a faster processor/more RAM/faster flash memory).

So I agree - scrapping the limit is probably going to make little difference in real terms - but makes the iPhone tariff a bit more attractive. Now if only they would offer it on business contracts - I've got a friend working in a 5-man company who's existing Vodophone contract is up for renewal. They would jump on the iPhone if it were offered with anywhere near a similar contract.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yeah, it's pretty snappy on EDGE (when I get it). Please note where I live. I'm not out in the sticks at all.

I think the processing/rendering theory could be right. On my 1MB Virgin cable-based wifi network at home the thing could be a little faster.

7. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I'm not complaining. Performance is fine - especially considering the device's size. If I', doing any serious web browsing I'm going to be using my MacBook or Mac Pro.

What I'd like to see is a dock that you could mate the iPhone too - with a full-size (more or less) keyboard. Something like this thing for the Palm Pilot...

http://www.dansdata.com/portkey.htm

With some fun applications once the SDK comes out you'd have yourself an ultra-ultra portable.