Question about ODD and Apple BTO SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jiten, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Need the advice folks. I have a 17 inch 2011 Macbook Pro with a Apple BTO 128 SSD because I do not want the hassle of bugs from other third party ssds.

I'm planning to buy a 1 TB 2.5 and place it in the main drive slot (where it will fit) then move my Apple SSD to the ODD slot. My question here is, since the ODD slot is only SATA II and the Apple SSD is also a SATA II spec drive, I won't take any speed hit right?

TIA

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Theoretically you are correct.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

correct, but you will encounter other problems having your boot volume in your optical bay

4. Jiten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Thanks for the reply guys. Good point I was planning to make the SSD my boot disk so I'm probably going to encounter that slow sleep problem few of you guys experienced. I'm going to keep the SSD on the main drive slot and just buy a smaller 750GB 2.5 so that it will fit in the optibay.

Too bad the 1tb drives still are too big for the ODD slot.

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

What problems? My SSD is in my optibay as my boot and it works perfectly, I boot up in less than 20 seconds. The sleep problem may or may not be fixed by OWC I haven't (and will not until I can do it via OS X) upgraded the firmware, but the sleep issue isn't that big of a deal, it only happens if you let the computer sleep on its own. An easy fix, set your power properties to never sleep for both battery and adapter profiles, turn off hibernation done. The sleep by closing your lid and selecting it from the OS X menu works perfectly every single time. Honestly I think people blow the sleep issue way out of proportion.

BTW, I have a full 3 GB/s negotiated speed and zero issues with SMC.

6. Jiten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jiten

I think the OWC SSD problem is a different issue altogether. I recall a fellow who in the forums who transferred his Apple BTO SSD to the ODD and used it as a boot drive and noticed waking up from sleep takes much longer. Nothing major I think but still quite annoying.