Question About Office 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Siron, May 13, 2008.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I'm a PC convert and have been using MS Office for years. Office 08 for Mac seems to have a different interface and it's causing me some headaches - specifically using Templates. In the PC version I would just click on Open New Document (in the toolbar not the icon) and I would be presented with the choice of Blank Document or Template. If I click on Template it takes me to my template folder and when the template opens and I click on save, it asks me for a document name - just like it's supposed to. In Office 08 for Mac I don't see where there's an option to open a template. The only way I can use my templates is to click on Open and then navigate to my template folder and open one and then do a save as - which negates the whole object of using templates.
    Can anyone help me please.
    Thanks
    Alan

2. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Hi, and welcome to the Mac :)

You open new template documents by using the Project Gallery. If you go under the File menu, it should be the first option you see.

You can also configure the different apps to automatically open Project Gallery (instead of a new blank file) if you go under Preferences:General and check the "Show Project Gallery at Startup" option.

I hope this helps!

3. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

Pittsax
    Thanks a lot - that helps. I don't know why MS does things differently for Mac. I know that they want to give the programs the look and feel of a Mac app but there's a difference between "look and feel" and functionality.
    Alan

4. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Remember the fact that you are a windows user. The way office 08 is set up is made for the average mac user. It "tries" to follow how most mac apps work. To mac users, office 08 really isn't as complicated.

5. Siron thread starter macrumors 6502

Siron

I guess I will have to get used to the "Mac way". I only ever use Windows now for QuickBooks and Money (and of course games) so I had better get used to doing things the Mac way of doing things.
    Alan

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It took me a month or so to get used to Macs when I got one but now it feels weird going back to Windows when I fancy playing a game. Especially Vista!