Question about Office 2004

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rockdog, Aug 10, 2010.

1. rockdog macrumors member

rockdog

Today I was in a thrift store and bought Office 2004 for $1 as I do not have MS Office.

My friend told me it was a waste of a dollar because Office 2004 has issues with Snow Leopard and I should just buy Office 2008.

True?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not sure if it has issues with SL or not. But for $1, it isn't that much of a waste.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It works here on Snow Leopard. You just have to install Rosetta since it is a PowerPC binary.

4. rockdog thread starter macrumors member

rockdog

Well thanks for the reply, I knew people used it with Leopard w/o too much trouble I just didn't know about SL

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Rosetta should allow you to use it. I have no experience with Rosetta however.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In my experience with Office 2004 on an Intel Mac: It blows giant chucks. It's slow and clunky but still usable.

You probably do. You just don't know it.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, my first mac (13"MBP) doesn't have anything that was written for PPC, so I'm not so sure, unless of course there are other reasons for Rosetta.

I did just get a sweet 1.5ghz 15" Powerbook G4 from my aunt. :)

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You will love that Powerbook by year's end.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm going back to college, so I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with it. There really isn't any reason to have two laptops with me, my school set up is pretty sweet already. :cool:

Suggestions?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I use my old Ti book as a headless work bench computer. You could always leave it at your home and use it as a server for SSH and such.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Any tutorials on doing such a thing? It'd have to be rock solid as I can't drive 6 hours just to restart a computer. :p

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My server is an headless old Intel Mini. It's running Leopard and is setup for auto login. It's just setup with Remote Login turned on. Its also running iChat with auto accepting Screen sharing from my AIM account only, so I can fix it and tinker with it as I please and monitor its activity. For force restarting I got one of those nifty web enable power strips. So if it ever gets cranky I just toggle it. Just make sure you don't forward the SSH port out to 22 or you'll get bombarded with failed login attempts. SSH is the only port I have forwarded. If I need something else I just tunnel it. My Uni is notorious for monitoring Internet traffic, so I tunnel everything through a SOCKs proxy. If you have any further questions feel free to PM me.