Question about Office 365 Personal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Sep 30, 2015.

1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

I have a subscription for Office 365 Personal that came with a PC I recently purchased. It's supposed to be for one desktop and one tablet/smartphone. I've never had a 365 subscription before.

Question: Would I be able to use this to install Office 2016 on my Mac?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I believe the EULA states for 1 PC or Mac not both. You would likely need to buy a different 365 subscription or a separate license for the Mac. MS is currently selling Office 2016 stand alone for the Mac but it would probably be less expensive to update your 365 subscription.

3. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response! I guess my real question is are the activation codes specific to Mac and PC? I have a code that I don't doubt will work I the PC I bought but could I use that code to activate Office 365 instead (as of now, the code is unused). Does that make sense?

4. chscag macrumors 68000

If you haven't already used the code to activate 365 on your PC, then it should work for the Mac.

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

The activation code (license) is for a specific number of installations - Personal is 1 installation, Home is for 5 installations. You're O365 portal includes a section that tells you how many installs you have and the Office download links. For Home, your portal will indicate whether that PC version is "activated"; if it is, uninstall the Windows suite, then deactivate that install, then "activate" a Mac version - you'll get an installer downloaded; both of those installers (for either Win or Mac) will "talk" to the MS activation servers, and you'll use your login credentials (plus your 2-step authorization code, if you've signed up for that). The O365 installers are different than the standalone installers - management of the subscription(s) is done in your Portal.

Two tips: I buy discounted iTunes Store cards, waiting for 20-25% off deals, then use my account to buy subscriptions. Also, Google "Office 365 personal home 9.99 Thurrott" and you'll see a post on that site that still works to get a Home upgrade with or without stacked subscriptions.