Question about opening different "instances" of a web browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eroxx, Oct 4, 2010.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

I'm just starting to use spaces, and wondering if I can have different instances of my browser (firefox in my case) to open, so that in one space I have one set of tabs, but in another, I have a different. Can't seem to figure it out - thanks!

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Open up a 2nd window, then drag that window towards the space you want it in, wait one second.

3. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I don't think so. Mac OS X does not seem to allow multiple instances of an application.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need another instance of the browser. You simply need to have multiple browser windows open, and follow sammich's instructions.

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I posted too slowly so sammich got in before.
    Now, I'm not big on Spaces, how do I "drag" a window into another space??

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

and how do I open a new window of firefox?? Do you mean a new tab?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, a new window. You can't click File > New Window? Or possibly Command-N? (That's how it works in Safari... I imagine Firefox does something similar) With Safari, if you have multiple tabs open, you can just drag a tab off the tab bar to create a new window.

9. LPZ macrumors 65816

Yes, it does. But it makes one work a bit. Enter the following in Terminal and you'll get two instances of Safari running simultaneously:

Code:
    open /Applications/Safari.app/; open -n /Applications/Safari.app/

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're using Firefox, not Safari. And again, you don't need two instances of the app running, only two or more browser windows.

11. LPZ macrumors 65816

Yes, I know. I was simply suggesting that it is possible to have two instances of an application open simultaneously.:)

12. tsubwayh macrumors newbie

I hope it's ok that I've revived this old thread, but I didn't want to open a new thread over this...

I am using spaces to open different firefox windows on different screens, but I have a problem. Every time I close firefox, or restart the system and reopen firefox - all the tabs open in space 1, instead of the way they were opened before.

Is it possible to tell firefox to open the tabs in their previous locations?

Thanks!