Question about optical drives in a PowerMac G3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Dec 6, 2007.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    Is it reasonable to hope that I could remove the Sony DVD-RW from my badly wounded windows box and fit it inside my G3 B/W or are the drives for Macs totally different, build and connection-wise?
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Macs haven't had any ridiculously proprietary connectors for quite some time. (10 years now? The ADB port on the B&W barely counts.)

It'll work. I have a BenQ DVD-ROM in one of my Macs.

3. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

If you weren't a cartoon, I could kiss you for that reply, lol
    Or maybe just a gruff handshake.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Fit: YES 4 sho :eek: Standard ATAPI drives slide right in & connect using regular IDE data & Molex 4-pin pwr plugs

Work: probably, but not a sure thing......

If you're running OS X, then you stand a REAL good chance that it will work as soon as you connect it & boot up. Fortunately, Sony was/is 1 of the OEM optical drive makers for Apple in recent years, so alot of their models have drivers built-in to the OS. OS 9.xx support is so-so........

However, there are a FEW Sony models that will only work after you d/l & install a free app called "Patchburn" that adds drivers for many drives, Sony & otherwise......notta problemo......

YMMV as always.......but if for some reason it doesn't seem to work, go for most any of the Pioneer units.....they are OEM supported bigtime !