Question about Optical Drives in new Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nasty Roo, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Nasty Roo macrumors member

After recently upgrading from an Aluminum macbook to the new 13" macbook pro, I noticed that when I wake up the Pro from sleep mode the optical drive doesn't make a sound at all, whereas my previous Alum Macbook's optical drive always made noise like I was inserting a disc when I would wake it up from sleep mode.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Was something wrong with my previous macbook? I never had any problems with the drive, just noticed that it made that noise every time it came off sleep mode.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

My 15" MBP (10/2008 model) although doesn't make a sound.

Maybe it is a pro feature, as my iBook does that sound every time I wake it, and my older white MacBook does it too.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Some old powerbooks must have had this. I think my old 12" PB did it every time I woke it from sleep, and possibly a 15" (my brothers).

But my 17" MBP doesn't do the 'drive check' noise.

4. castanzarules macrumors member

i was under the impression this noise was the HD spinning up/arm movement. that wouldn't make sense considering your mbp doesn't make this sound. idk, anybody else know anything about this mysterious noise? is it the optical drive?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The noise I was referring to was the DVD drive as the OP already stated.
    It sounds as if a DVD is inserted and the drive sucks it in.

The HDD is not even a third as loud as that optical drive.

6. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I'm more than positive it was the optical drive, and the quote above is an accurate description of the noise.

7. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why?

Isn't your question already answered?

9. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

No...

Had you bothered to read the entire thread, you'd know that I'm wondering why Macbooks make noise when waking from sleep and not my new Macbook Pro, and if other people have experienced anything similar.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have bothered to read.

I just thought it would have been clear, that the MBPs are lacking that consumer feature of checking the optical drive.

Maybe Apple has the firmware rewritten, so that after waking up from sleep they don't check the drive anymore.

Besides bumping is not liked here per forum rules:

11. Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent.

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

11. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

My BlackBook, 13" UMB and Mac mini always made that start up noise. My current MBA doesn't because well...there's no optical drive :p

12. Nasty Roo thread starter macrumors member

This would have been an appropriate response the first time. I don't see how anything you just said should have been implied from any of the previous posts.

And my fault on the bump, I wasn't aware that was a rule on this forum.

13. St Soichiro macrumors regular

My mid 2007 MBP does make this sound. And yes, it sounds exactly like the optical drive and not the HDD starting up. The latter is more of a soft high-pitched whine that my MP makes.