Question about ordering accessories for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by medgirl2001, Mar 12, 2010.

1. medgirl2001 macrumors regular

Do you all know - what kind of cable would I need if I wanted to hook iPad up to a regular television to watch movies?

Also - I'm confused about the charging adapter. It looks to me like what the iPad ships with is just the capability to charge via USB with your computer. Is that right? If I want to be able to charge from an electrical outlet I need to buy an additional adapter? I'm presuming it can't be used with the wall charger for an iPhone or MacBook.

2. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

you can charge it from a outlet, it comes in the box,i called and asked as I bought a dock :)

3. medgirl2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm - I continue to be confused. It looks like the iPad is supposed to ship with the 10W USB power adapter, which is the same accessory they are selling for $29. I guess they're selling it in case people need an extra one?

4. elmo151 Guest

iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter
    perhaps that could get you to a TV set

I think you are correct about the power adapter. the accessory is described, the other is not

5. medgirl2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, maybe the separate accessory also gets you the 6 foot cable (I have one anyway from my MacBook, so I don't really need that). Guess I will order without the adapter. I can always get it later if necessary.

6. Trouser Cough macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Crowded Busses, Cramped Elevators, Taco Bell
  7. medgirl2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, cool. So depending on the TV, what you might have to do is get the iPad to VGA cable, then connect it to a cable like you showed if the TV has the component hook up?

(Thanks for your help - sorry to be stupid about this. Computer stuff I get; home entertainment stuff confuses me).

8. sJv macrumors regular

9. medgirl2001 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, that gives another option. I'll probably think about it for now and order something later. I am wanting this not so much to use at home, but when traveling, which means I probably need to come up with a solution likely to work with "most" TVs because I won't necessarily know in advance what their hook-ups will be.

10. sJv macrumors regular

You can almost always count on a composite connection on any TV, but this is the lowest quality connection. $50 for a crappy composite connection strikes me as a bit steep. Actually, $50 for Apple's cables is steep. I am liking the idea of the $30 VGA adapter and with one of Amazon's cables. Has anyone used one of these cheap VGA to xx cables?

*edit* looking closer at Amazon's page, the description is wrong. This is NOT a VGA to component cable. It's a VGA to RGB cable. This will not work with component inputs.

-steve

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

re: power adapter, the iPad ships with a USB -> 30-pin dock connector and a 10W USB AC adapter. Now sure why you'd really want this kit except to have a longer and beefier grounded power cable.

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Thanks for posting this before I did.... that cable is for some very specialized AV equipment, primarily displays used for NTSC editing monitors on video editing systems. Aside from simple pin-out incompatibility, the iPod from the touch and on require Apple's "special" (DRM) chip in the video cables to work, so you pretty much have to buy them from Apple - the cheap dock connector video cables won't work on newer iPods, and likely not the iPad either.