question about OS X and routers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sjsharks13, Aug 13, 2009.

1. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

hey everyone, I need some help getting a router for my new apartment.

I have a MBP running leopard and will upgrade to snow leopard when it is released.

I also play a lot of xbox live

from what I have read, the airport does not work well with the xbox dongle USB accesory.
    What do you guys think would be the best option for me? price is not that big of a deal....willing to spend up to $150.

thanks for the help in advance.

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Don't get a router. Get a ProSafe Netgear switch. I have one and it goes up to 1Gbps, Jumbo Frames, it's quite nice. However, you'll need to buy at least 3 cat5e cables.

3. sjsharks13 thread starter macrumors regular

never heard of that, will look into it.

Does anyone have an airport extreme that works well with a 360? from what I read I think the airport is the best option for my MBP but getting onto xbox live is important, do you think I will have issues with this if I went with this option?

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Belkin N+. I use it for three wireless computers, iPod touch, two wired computers, and a PS3 and Wii. It took a bit to setup, but it's working flawlessly now. I highly recommend it.

5. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

He'll still need a router; the switch alone won't be enough (unless his residential gateway acts as a router, which it might). Though I agree, if you're doing any kind of networking (or rather, file transfers), having a 1Gb switch is very nice.

6. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

I have one of the dual band D-Link N routers (DIR-825). Works fine with the macs, and with my sons xbox 360.

It does 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and has gigabit ethernet ports.