question about osx, itunes, and iphone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by redpony, Mar 18, 2012.

1. redpony macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G4 with a 1.42 GHz processor and 1 GB DDR SDRAM. I read on Apple's web site that I can run OSX 10.5.8 on my computer as well as a newer version of iTunes so that I can get a new iPhone 4S.

BUT... the customer service person at both the Apple store AND MacMall both told me it wouldn't work on my current computer.

I can afford a new phone but not a new computer. My current phone (iPhone 3G, 3.5 years old) is needing replacement (but still works). I don't want to replace the computer yet because it does everything I need it to do.

Before I jump in and go on ahead and buy a newer, used computer, I thought I'd seek the wisdom of other consumers.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

You can run Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on that iBook, any did. It will be a bot slower than Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger though, maybe add more RAM to it, if you can (I had a 1 GHz iBook with 1.25 GB RAM and Leopard was running okay on it, but I reverted back to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger on it).
    But know, that Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Retail DVDs still go for 100 USD via eBay. A grey Restore DVD will NOT work.

3. redpony thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that was fast!! Thanks for the info. The CS people said it absolutely could not be done. I may wait a couple of months (time to save up $$) and go on ahead and get a new computer, though. I guess it might just be time to put the old stuff out of its misery...

Thanks again!