Question about OTA tuner for new Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stage44, May 12, 2015.

1. stage44 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've been following the rumours of the new apple TV and was wondering if anyone had heard anything regarding HD tuner support so you can watch live OTA broadcasts through the Apple TV interface instead of switching sources all the time.

It would be especially great in the UK with Freeview as you would only need to plug in your TV ariel to the box.

Has anyone heard any rumours about this and what do you think the likelihood of this is? Or are we all just playing the guessing game until June?

Thank you

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

For sure we are all playing the guessing game. I would really be surprised if they added a Tuner and/or DVR. The rumor is they will offer a over the top streaming service like Sony and Dish. Assuming they offer a Streaming Service with access to most channels people want with On Demand Content then there would be no need for a tuner. Except that a tuner gives your FREE content.

3. stage44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your comment.

I see your point, adding a feature which doesn't make them money may be be a bit of a lost endeavour but then I think about the quote that Steve said saying he'd finally 'cracked' TV and I can't help but get my hopes up again :)

Looking forward to WWDC nonetheless though!

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Just like anyone else, I can only speculate. That said, I highly doubt Apple would add an OTA tuner into the AppleTV.

However, if Apple opens up the platform to a proper app-store, then take a look at Tablo or Simple.tv - both are OTA tuners that can record shows to an attached USB hard drive, and then stream either live or the recordings to a computer, tablet, phone, or streaming box. If there will be an AppleTV app store, you can be sure they will have apps for that soon.

5. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'd rate an OTA tuner as "possible, but really, really don't hold your breath waiting for it". The only way I see it as possible is if they really want their streaming service to compete with cable, and enabling the ATV to pick up OTA transmissions would solve that bit without having to solve the issue of local stations getting annoyed about the national feed trumping them (and dealing with the OTA networks in the first place).

That said, the ATV is designed to be hooked up to a TV, which should have a digital OTA tuner built into it anyway, if it's new enough to be using HDMI in the first place, right?

Still, in addition to the ones noted above, look into the SiliconDust products (or similar) for OTA streaming - one would expect they will have an ATV app (if a 3rd party App Store is coming) or will be compatible with other apps that will be coming.

6. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

I would say extremely unlikely. Apple wants features that work out of the box. OTA is not that simple. Pulling in stations well depends on so many factors such as distance to transmitters, dwelling type, height, antenna type, antenna position, proper wiring, and more. I doubt Apple wants to deal with those kind of issues. I'm sure it will be kept to streaming.

I am an OTA fan and ditched satellite 2 years ago so it would certainly be nice but I don't see how this would happen. Just as an example of the potential complexities of this for the average user I live close to transmitters and should have strong signals but because of living in an old house with thick plaster walls plus the surrounding topography and trees I can't get reliable signals without a good outdoor antenna mounted high and correctly positioned.