Question about other antivirus apps (Avast and Avira)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by charlesdayton, Aug 31, 2012.

1. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I was reading GGJstudios, excellent coverage on antivirus apps for mac and have a aquestion.

My concern with viruses is mainly to have an on demand app to scan files sent to Widnows users. I share a lot of files with Windows and some of them have poor security practices.

The information I have already is that ClamX is excellent while iAntivirus and Sophos should be avoided.

What is the consensus on the other AV apps:

Avast and Avira?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In general, it's better to let Windows users deal with anti-virus checking, but if you want to do it, ClamXAV is the only one I've seen that doesn't use an inordinate amount of CPU and RAM. While Avast and Avira may not have the specific problems of iAntivirus and Sophos, which are simply particularly bad and deceitful, they do not have the good name on the Mac that ClamXAV has earned. I wouldn't recommend them overall, though I must admit to not having any direct experience with them.

jW

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ClamXav is the only antivirus app I recommend if someone insists on running a 3rd party AV app, and it's really not needed. If you practice safe computing as described in the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ, you'll be fine. Recent versions of Mac OS X have anti-malware protection built-in, as an added layer of security. 3rd party apps really aren't needed and offer no added protection over that which is built-in to Mac OS X combined with practicing safe computing.

I agree with Mal: Windows users should be running their own anti-malware protection, to protect from threats other than files from your Mac.

4. charlesdayton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys.

I practice safe computing on my Mac and have no concerns of viruses or malware affecting me. I just don't want to send windows users infected files as it creates a bad impression, specially for a person that lives on computer consulting :).

I just wanted to know if Avast or Avira where better for scanning Windows files in Mac than ClamX.