Question about Otterbox cases *read*

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hoing, Jun 18, 2011.

1. hoing macrumors member

Right now around the house, I keep my iPhone nude and love to do so.

however, when i go out, i want to have a case that protects and that is what the otterbox is known for...but...

is it possible to lets say put on the otterbox - go out - come back home - remove otterbox, and repeat this process?

If so, is it for all of them or just certain ones?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

It is possible, that you will like it or not is another story.
    Check them in their website, they also have a screen protection layer that you install once I think, I didn't installed it.

3. hoing thread starter macrumors member

Does the case damage the phone from removing and putting it on? How tiresome is the process?

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

definitely ... a must "read"

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

It doesn't damage the phone, but you be stretching out the silicone each time and after a while it would become loose

6. JASApplications macrumors 65816

This thread was soooo exciting!! I just HAD to '*read*' it :rolleyes:

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Growing up i was always told by my dad that things were only built to work so many times ie: keep flipping that light switch, opening that fridge door etc.. and it's going to break.

So yes this will shorten the lifespan of your case.

8. TheXFactor macrumors regular

My dad said (my he rest in peace) that if you buy *******, it will crap out on you.

9. patp Guest

the case will eventually wear from all the back & forth action.

They were not designed with this in mind. Probably gonna make some marks on the phone itself too after a while. Just sayin.

10. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

My dad also said if you can't fix it ****** it.

11. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Depends on the case. If you look at their top of the line case, the Defender, then you will get absolutely sick of taking it on and off. This cases aren't designed to be removed and reapplied ad nausea. The silicone components stretch out, especially around the dock connector and other thin areas. The fact that they use a cheaper material like silicone and then charge so much is ridiculous imo.

It'll definitely protect your phone from drops. But likely wont survive many months of being removed and reapplied every time you go out. There are sturdier hybrid cases out there. But few offer all the protection of the Defender. If you're looking at Otterbox's other models, then you might as well look at other companies' offerings such as Switcheasy, Casemate, Speck, or Seido. They cost less, offer similar protection, and wont make your phone the size of a brick.

12. NickkyJ macrumors regular

I enjoy otterbox cases but i do not recommend taking it on and off cause you will scratch the back of your phone but if u do not mind doing that than go for it