Question about page ins/page outs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eanair, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I've been trying to figure out what the desired ratio of page ins/page outs one should have as I've been told that determines if you will need to get more RAM or not. The almighty internet seems to have a few thoughts on this, and as I don't know the answer myself, I was wondering if anyone knew which one of the recommendations I've researched is correct. Thanks!

Suggestion 1: No page outs. If you start to have page outs at all, get more RAM. You shouldn't be having page outs at all.

Suggestion 2: Page outs should be less than 5% page ins. If your page outs are 5% or less than your page ins, you're okay. More than 5%, get more RAM.

Suggestion 3: Page outs should be less than 20% page ins. If your page outs are 20% or less than your page ins, you're okay. More than 20%, get more RAM.

Suggestion 4: Don't worry about page ins and page outs. That's just technical stuff. If you notice your computer running slower, get more RAM.

Which one of these is a good way to determine if more RAM is needed? These were all suggestions I found trying to research it on Google, and I don't know if there's a right answer or not for this?

My page ins are ~ 40,000 and page outs ~ 30 for having a few applications running at the same time (Firefox, iTunes, downloading stuff, iPhoto).

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My personal rule is between 2 and 3. 10:1 ratio of in to out. Any more than that, more RAM is needed.