Question about Pages for iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Manga4life, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Manga4life macrumors newbie

Okay, so I've downloaded Pages for iPad after seeing how awesome it is in random YouTube videos and I'm ready to get to work. Now, I saved a .doc file to my Dropbox and opened it up on my iPad and I can read it fine, but I can't seem to find out how to open it in Pages to edit it and I was wondering if anyone here knew how? It's become quite perplexing since I've read that you can edit and create Word documents using Pages and I can't seem to open my file up within the app, what gives?

Thanks in advance, everyone. :D

2. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

You need to use the "open in" command from the menu/button. Pages should be listed as an option.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Are you using the official Dropbox app? When viewing a document tap the action icon on the top right corner, you will have a "Open In..." menu, just select Pages.

4. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

I should add, if using Safari to view the doc, you'll need to tap the screen to (briefly) get a little black menu bar at the top of the window to see the Open In option.

5. Manga4life thread starter macrumors newbie

Man, you guys are the best. It worked like a charm. :D

6. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Good to hear.

7. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Depending on your needs, you can also do something much more powerful.

I've worked out the following file system solution to the iPad, crucial given my usage (note my sig).

Sign up for dropDAV. It's free with free Dropbox accounts, paid with paid Dropbox accounts. Worth it in all cases IMO! (I am not affiliated with the dropDAV guys in any way).

DropDAV provides WebDAV access to Dropbox. In turn, this allows you to open and close/save documents directly to and from Dropbox right in the iWork apps. From within Pages, you open the file from dropbox via the Pages WebDAV interface. Work on it. And save it right back to Dropbox, again via the Pages Webdav interface.

I also use a pointer on my Mac to sync Dropbox and my imac's Documents folder. This provides further file repository/back up.

8. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

My understanding was that dropdav is no longer free. Yes, you can get a free trial but you have to pay thereafter. Has this changed?

9. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Haven't checked in a while as I auto renew each month. When I first got it, it was free for free, paid for paid. It's certainly possible that they changed that.

10. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Just checked and it's definitely paid only, which is a pity as I would love to have dropDAV. Would make life with some of my apps so much easier.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Pages now work with iCloud, so you can log into iCloud from your web browser to download the file to your computer. Not quite as transparent as having the files synced through dropdav / Dropbox, but better than emailing the files to yourself.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Apparently the 10.7.3 betas have been asking users to test Documents In The Cloud so maybe we'll see better integration between the Mac and iOS.

13. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Yes, and I've used it a little and it is pretty neat the way your files sync across. But all my docs are in Dropbox. :)

14. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Plus, again, iCloud continues to "sort" documents the way Apple thinks best rather than the way you think best.