Question about Pages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acfusion29, Apr 5, 2009.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

In Microsft Word, when I hit find (cmd+f), I am able to replace any words that I have found but I'm also able to replace it with a bigger word (I get options to italicize, bold, underline, etc.).

I have searched everywhere in Pages for this feature, but can't find it. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Find and Replace is cmd-f in Pages as well. Also found in the Edit menu. If you want to find by style, this is under the Advanced tab in the Find and Replace window. The key to making this work for you is to define your styles.

3. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I don't want to find by style, I would like to replace by style.

Say I have a report, I want to be able to find all the "the"' words and make them size 14. I don't want to go through each and every single the to make it another font.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can do that. Create a character style for how you want the text to look. If for example you wanted to find and replace all the instances of the word "the" with "the" in italics, the dialog box would look like this:

Attached Files:

5. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

How do I create a character style?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Open the Style drawer. You can create paragraph or character styles by simply selecting a character (for character styles) and placing the insertion point in a paragraph (for paragraph styles) and using the arrow next to a style and choose either "Create new style from selection" or "Redefine style from selection." Styles are applied to characters or paragraphs by selecting them then double-clicking on the style name in the drawer.

You really do need to familiarize yourself with the basics. Pages handles styles so much better than Word; if you're not using them, you're missing one of the best features of Pages.