Question about Parallels 8

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by helpanoobout, Mar 17, 2013.

1. helpanoobout macrumors newbie

Can you run multiple versions of this and the same copy of windows? For example, Parrallel 8 + Windows 7 on Mac Mini and when on the go, same copy of Parrallel 8 + same copy of Windows 7 on macbook pro

Or would you have to have a second copy of windows and second copy of parallels 8?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your best bet is to read Parallel's EULA it has the details for which your looking for.

From what I can see you can only use it on one computer (though I only quickly scanned through it)

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Don't even think you can install it on 2 machines with the same serial, it phones home to check your serial and checks with their server.
    So, the answers is likely no.

And, imo this is stupid, if you happen to have two machines (Many do) you need two licences, you don't have to buy two cars to get to the same destination.

4. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I own a single licence for Parallels 7 (it still works fine for me so I didn't upgrade to 8, I'll most likely buy 9 when it comes out) and without really bothering to read the EULA, I use it on two different computers without any penalty. I simply don't want to pay twice for the same software, and I am glad the serial hasn't been blocked for me, although I realize what I do is technically "illegal".

5. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

If you really want to go the automobile analogy route, the correct analogy is that you have to pay more for automobile liability insurance if you own two autos, even if you only drive one at a time.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

True.

I thought it was a good idea since so many americans like the car analogy, guess I did a bad job here.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That analogy makes no sense. Try developing software for a living and then tell us it's stupid.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Where did I tell you and other's it's stupid, I said in my opinion!

9. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

They were telling you in their opinion you should try developing software for a living...

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I am a strong believer that if you buy a software licence you should be able to install it on all the computers you own, why do I have to pay 2 or more times for a licence, if I buy a song I can listen to them on all devices, so why should this be different for software?
    The music business had to change, I hope this is the same for software.

11. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

You're making a bad analogy again.

Well before the music business "changed" you could always play your vinyl records, cassettes, cd's and the like on more than one machine!

You can do better than that (I hope!)

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I was talking about digital Music with DRM, many times you could play it on one device only, wasn't talking about CD/Cassettes/records.

13. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

I wrote to support a couple of weeks ago with a similar issue. As long as you don't run them at the same time, it should work fine i was told.

14. vladobizik macrumors 6502

That's perfect. I never run them at the same time, though I have them installed on two machines at the same time.

15. ghellquist macrumors regular

Just a bit off topic

Well, not quite on the topic. But for many usage scenarios Virtualbox is a good alternative. Not always, not for every usage. But as it comes free for download, you might want to give it a look.
    // gunnar

16. stewartx macrumors newbie

Of course, the issue is MS Windows, not Parallels. Microsoft only allows the operating system to be installed on a single computer. That doesn't change just because you're using Parallels. If Microsoft detects multiple copies installed (based on the hardware configuration - CPU, graphics hardware, RAM, etc), they will deactivate (invalidate) all copies. That hardware configuration can occasionally change slightly (additional RAM installed, etc) without triggering a response, but Microsoft is, at this point, pretty darn good at detecting multiple copies. If the OS is invalidated, you'll loss some features and will not be able to install updates or other Microsoft software. Products from other venders may refuse to install or operate as well.