Question about Parallels/Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Mar 14, 2008.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Do I have to have my own license of Windows XP to run Parallels or VM Fusion on my Mac, or does that come with it? I did a search for this but didn't find anything. Thanks.

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

You need your own. I don't know if either has a bundle of any kind, but yes, if you just get Fusion/Parallells you need your own copy of Windows. :)

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes,both require a copy of XP & licence as its not included with them,go fusion

4. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Thanks for the info. I figured as much.

5. mkrad macrumors member

If you have used Virtual PC previously and have an original v. 6 or 7 install disc, you have a licensed copy of WinXP and are entitled to a pure XP install disc w/SP2 as required to install under Bootcamp, Fusion or Parallels. Microsoft replacement parts phone 1-800-360-7561, they will charge you about 29 USD to cover disc production and shipping, beats forking out full fee for a new copy of the OS, IMHO.

6. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

So did you install windows? What did you choose? Parallels or Fusion? I know parallels make a special offer if you haven't already bought anything!

7. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Haven't installed it yet, or bought anything. Still waiting on delivery of the new Mac Pro. I'm leaning toward Fusion because I read a really good review a couple of weeks ago and because my wife uses Parallels at work and doesn't really care for it. I haven't really made up my mind, though.

8. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

Could you let me read this really good article about fusion? I'd like to compare with parallels! ))

9. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't remember where I saw it now, but if you Google "VM Fusion Review" you'll get more than you care to read.

10. alexjdb macrumors member

Go for fusion, it's much more stable, fast and reliable than Parallels. It even has 3D acceleration (moderate gaming!)

PLEASE, PLEASE buy windows xp. I tried Vista and it's a whole bunch of trouble, lag, etc. Windows XP is much faster as well.

11. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

Sorry but parallels has too 3D acceleration. See thу link http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/features/

Or explain better what do you mean.