Question about Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jrs22, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I have an OEM copy of Parallels 7 that I haven't used yet because I'm looking for a good price on windows. I learned through a post here that I'm eligible for a free upgrade to Parallels 8. According to their website I need to install the software to register it, so I'm wondering if there are any downsides to installing now w/o installing windows at the same time?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

3. jrs22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I had to install and register my software even though I have the activation key. It turns out the DVD came with an uninstaller.

I'm new to OSX and I miss the illusion of a formal uninstall process that comes with Windows, and a registry cleaner to repair the problems that are left behind. Does OSX even have a registry?

4. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Parallels 8 works like a dream and upgrades easily:)

5. thasan macrumors 6502a

Upgrades easily but I have problems with dual screen :(

6. jrs22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Parallels responded to my upgrade request in less than a day. Uninstalling V7 was part of the V8 install process. It doesn't insist on opening at start-up so I can just leave it there until I buy Windows. I'm hoping there'll be sales on either windows 7 or windows 8 when windows 8 is introduced. I won't be using dual screens so I'm sorry it's causing you problems but it won't be an issue for me. I just need to run Microsoft Access sometimes.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Fortunately, OS X has nothing even remotely similar to a registry, and a formal uninstalled is not needed for programs that are designed well, usually. Most bigger programs come with uninstallers, as you found, and most smaller ones can simply be dragged to the trash.

jW

8. jrs22 thread starter macrumors 6502

In this case (OSX vs Windows Vista) reality trumps illusion! I'm enjoying my move to Apple but I still have to maintain my sister's PC.