Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
I have an OEM copy of Parallels 7 that I haven't used yet because I'm looking for a good price on windows. I learned through a post here that I'm eligible for a free upgrade to Parallels 8. According to their website I need to install the software to register it, so I'm wondering if there are any downsides to installing now w/o installing windows at the same time?

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks. I had to install and register my software even though I have the activation key. It turns out the DVD came with an uninstaller.

I'm new to OSX and I miss the illusion of a formal uninstall process that comes with Windows, and a registry cleaner to repair the problems that are left behind. Does OSX even have a registry?

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Parallels responded to my upgrade request in less than a day. Uninstalling V7 was part of the V8 install process. It doesn't insist on opening at start-up so I can just leave it there until I buy Windows. I'm hoping there'll be sales on either windows 7 or windows 8 when windows 8 is introduced. I won't be using dual screens so I'm sorry it's causing you problems but it won't be an issue for me. I just need to run Microsoft Access sometimes.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Thanks. I had to install and register my software even though I have the activation key. It turns out the DVD came with an uninstaller.

I'm new to OSX and I miss the illusion of a formal uninstall process that comes with Windows, and a registry cleaner to repair the problems that are left behind. Does OSX even have a registry?

Fortunately, OS X has nothing even remotely similar to a registry, and a formal uninstalled is not needed for programs that are designed well, usually. Most bigger programs come with uninstallers, as you found, and most smaller ones can simply be dragged to the trash.

jW

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Fortunately, OS X has nothing even remotely similar to a registry, and a formal uninstalled is not needed for programs that are designed well, usually. Most bigger programs come with uninstallers, as you found, and most smaller ones can simply be dragged to the trash.

jW

In this case (OSX vs Windows Vista) reality trumps illusion! I'm enjoying my move to Apple but I still have to maintain my sister's PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.