Question about part# 661-5301 and 661-4919

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SuperCompu2, Sep 17, 2014.

1. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I have an Original (A1237) MBA with a dodgy cable in the hinge (distorted video when display is opened to certain angles) and am in the market for a new display assembly.

The officially-noted part is 661-5301, but the prices for those displays are ridiculous for a machine of this age (anywhere from 350-600 dollars).

However, parts for the late-2008 model (which looks exactly the same) are substantially cheaper, with a display assembly running for about 130 bucks. The part number for that is 661-4919.

My question is: has anyone replaced either with the other, and are they cross-compatible? I'd really like to not drop 350ish dollars on a screen if I don't have to (replacing for someone that refuses to put $ towards new one, wants it fixed).

Any advice appreciated!

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502a

prisstratton

All of the guides at the iFixit site list both models together and show the same replacement part for both, except for the upper case and logic board. This would suggest that all other parts are interchangeable. Although, they do not list the same part numbers for the display assembly that you have quoted and their price for that part is not what you are looking for.

All guides here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Air_Models_A1237_and_A1304

Display assembly parts here:

https://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Air-Display-Assembly/IF188-001

Hope it helps.

3. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I appreciate the link, however my need is a bit different...

You see, the LCD itself is not the problem, but rather the cables running to the LCD causing some sort of short/disconnect when the lid is moved.

Unfortunately, on this generation of MacBook Air, the display assembly is not easily disassembled, and requires using a heat gun to pry off the face of the bezel to expose the LCD mounting screws.

A coworker recently tried to undertake a similar operation on a slightly newer MacBook Air and destroyed the bezel entirely, despite actually being fairly careful with the tear-down.

Thus, I'm looking for a "display assembly" as a unit, as opposed to just the LCD. I just wanted to make sure the cabling would be consistent between an original MBA display and a "late 2008" MBA display.