Question about partitioning harddrives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 88888888, May 31, 2008.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

Say I want to partition a mbp harddrive for windows. Will i be able to access files between the 2 partitioned harddrives easily? like say.. i ripped my cd's in my window's partition harddrive.. but i use the mac as my itunes player. Will i be able to add my ripped music from my window's partitioned harddrive.. to the mac partitioned harddrive into itunes..?

Wow this is so confusing.. hopefully it's understandable.
    thanks for your help.

2. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

when partitionaning with bootcamp os x will create a ntfs partition. When you install windows you will be able to change the the formate to FAT32. Ntfs is for os x recognition or something.

3. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

there will be a mounted drive on os x you should be able to access. on windows there is a program you can download (i forgot where)

4. ruskiwi macrumors member

Actually, Boot Camp does not format in NTFS, which is why you have to format the partition to NTFS when beginning the Windows install process.

Mac OS can read NTFS formatted partitions, but not write to them, unless you use an application like Paragon's NTFS (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/). This means you can drag files off the Windows partition to the Mac, but not from the Mac to Windows (unless you get Paragon NTFS).
    Mac can read and write FAT32, but that format has its own limitations.

Windows can only read or write Mac partitions if you use a program like MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/). Otherwise the Mac partition is simply invisible to Windows.

Hope that helps.