Question about paying for an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

I have 2 questions first I'm using an early upgrade so my phone will coast about $550, now will the tax be on $550 or on full retail. In another thread i heard this could be a problem, i live in Ny and idk if that makes a difference. Next can i use my fathers credit card instead of just cash because i feel it would be easier, I'm 17 and would rather not carry around all that cash.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It very much depends on the state you live in. For example, I currently live in California, and sales tax is figured on the full retail price of the phone. You should be able to do some Googling to find out what NY's laws are.

Apple is very good about checking IDs with credit cards. If you are going to take your dad's card I would recommend also taking your dad.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that at 17 you are not legally eligible to sign a contract (i.e. use an early upgrade). The account owner will need to be with you.

3. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

And did fix the fact that i can't sign a contract, AT&T said i can be added so that i can make changes to the account and i was added. And thanks, so can anyone find out if the tax is like that in Ny?

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Google it yourself. That's what the rest of us would do.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You may get away with it, but I would be very surprised. Being an authorized user on the account does not qualify you to upgrade or add a line. Nor does it negate the fact that you are not legally old enough to sign a contract. Both of these actions require credit runs against the person who owns the account, and legally this person must be present to do this. I have been prevented from upgrading lines on my husbands account even though I was both over 18 and an authorized user.

As stated, you can Google for the information about NY taxes. It shouldn't be difficult to find yourself.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

i confirmed this with apple and AT&T, they said as long as i am added to the account and know all the info i will be good to go so i hope I'm good, Um yea i tried to google it and it doesn't seem to say anything about full retail price, to compare i looked at the California law and i couldn't find it either so I guess it means i couldn't find it.

7. MGTR420, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

MGTR420 macrumors regular

I thought I read somewhere that only California and Rhode Island have to pay on the full price of the phone, and not the subsidized. Good luck.

8. TexasFight1012 macrumors newbie

Only California and Rhode Island are required to pay sales tax on full retail price.