Question about payment in Apple Store [Resolved]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trsblader, Jun 20, 2011.

1. trsblader, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

trsblader macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have a quick question about payment at an Apple Store.

Here's the situation, let me know if it will work or not.

Basically, my friend is in college but does not have a credit card with a high limit (default $500 limit) and he cannot raise it anytime soon because it's a new card (he has to wait a year). What we want to do is go to the Apple Store, show them his ID so that everything in their system has his name on it, but pay with MY credit card (he is obviously giving me the cash up front, but Apple Store only does credit card I think?). Will they allow this?

The other option is to use my ID, but I just bought my iMac with education discount, so will they let me do it again? If I use my college ID, is there a way for their system to show him as the owner and not me?

We want his information should he have to use warranty stuff the first year, or should he want to buy Apple Care later on down the road (within 1 year).

Just trying to figure out what is the easiest way to let him take advantage of the college discount (again, he IS a legit college student with his own ID), and get the computer purchase registered in his own name.

Hopefully that makes sense to everyone. Admittedly, it does sound confusing. If not, let me know and I can try to clarify things.

Thanks in advance.

2. intwo macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure he could just buy it online with his student discount and input your credit card information.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If your there in person then yes you can pay

4. trsblader thread starter macrumors 6502

Great! Thanks to both of you for the answer and quick response. Problem solved :)