Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DS0167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2015
Hello,

Can someone explain why their is a "everyone personalized" over "system" in almost every apps installed with El Capitan + also a "everyone read only"...?

Am I the only one with this settings ?

Thanks in advance for your lights.

Regards

Last edited:

DS0167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2015
not sure your question is clear. what exactly is the problem? are apps not working?

The problem is to understand why their is twice "everyone" in the permissions of default apps (like "system preferences" or "safari") :

- one "everyone personalized" above "system" ?
- the other one "everyone read only" below "wheel".

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There appears to be two listings for the "everyone" user, on apps that need that configuration for sharing & permissions (not just permissions, eh?) - and you will notice that the only apps with that configuration are the native apps (those that are installed by the OS X installer)
Apps that YOU add to your system don't have that configuration.
I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, as long as you are not experiencing problems.

DS0167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2015
There appears to be two listings for the "everyone" user, on apps that need that configuration for sharing & permissions (not just permissions, eh?) - and you will notice that the only apps with that configuration are the native apps (those that are installed by the OS X installer)
Apps that YOU add to your system don't have that configuration.
I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, as long as you are not experiencing problems.

I easily understand why some apps may need a "everyone personalized" for sharing & permissions but I do not understand why "system preferences" would need a everyone personalized above system for sharing or permissions ?

I just reinstall the whole system twice in less than one week and I still have problems like a black screen saying that my computer is shutting down because in encountered a problem (without more explanation), I also need to delete twice my email before they are effectively deleted... etc... etc... so yes I am concerned about the new permissions with El Capian since even in root we just can not modify the permissions and the new disk utility do not repair permission when the disk is encrypted !...

El Capitan does not inspire safety at all...

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
There are many but unintended shutting down sounds like you have some incompatible software/drivers/extensions, try booting in safe mode or using another test account and see if the issues still occur, if they don't then you have a login item loading or some other software causing the issue.

Permissions usually won't allow stuff (at all, not making you delete mail twice before it deletes), perhaps you can't delete anything in your home folder etc.

When you reinstalled did you properly migrate your user and data back into the new installation?

DS0167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2015
There are many but unintended shutting down sounds like you have some incompatible software/drivers/extensions, try booting in safe mode or using another test account and see if the issues still occur, if they don't then you have a login item loading or some other software causing the issue.

Permissions usually won't allow stuff (at all, not making you delete mail twice before it deletes), perhaps you can't delete anything in your home folder etc.

When you reinstalled did you properly migrate your user and data back into the new installation?

I did a proper reinstall (erasing my disk and loading ElCapitan with opt cmd R). I did not install any extension or software when the issue re-occure recently... + I have not (still) install any of my personal files or data...

I do not like El Capitan at all and if you can tell me how to return to Yosemite from a Maverick (by default when I bought my Mac), I would be grateful.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I did a proper reinstall (erasing my disk and loading ElCapitan with opt cmd R). I did not install any extension or software when the issue re-occure recently... + I have not (still) install any of my personal files or data...
I do not like El Capitan at all and if you can tell me how to return to Yosemite from a Maverick (by default when I bought my Mac), I would be grateful.
Here is an article on how to return to Yosemite from El Capitan:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/delete-el-capitan-go-back-to-yosemite-3581872/

DS0167

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2015
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.