Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonrod61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Gotta a quick question about personal info on crash reports, thanks very much in advance! :)

Ive had lots of crashes recently so a programmer friend told me to take note of the crashes and send them to him so we can track what might be causing it. Everytime an app crashes OS pops up a window saying:
" The Application X quit unexpectedly.
Mac OSX and other applications are not affected.
Click relaunch to launch the application again.
Click report to see more details or send a report to Apple."

I always click report and copy the details. What I want to know is, I am about to send my friend all the reports so is there any personal information or sensible information in these reports that I should take off or he doesn't need to have?

Thanks again

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
As far as I'm aware there's not. In terms of UK law it would be illegal for Apple to collect personal information about the reports and send it to them without first specifically notifying you about the personal information. I'm not sure about law internationally, but there must be similar laws elsewhere which would make the sending of personal information illegal unless you were told first. :)

sonrod61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks Ryan! appreciate it :)
I just read some of the crashes and I dont understand any of the info but it doesn't seem to have any personal stuff, just a lot of "thread lines" of processes the computer was doing...i think..I am curious, what are these "thread lines"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.