Question about phone number transfer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikebttf, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mikebttf macrumors newbie

I have a bad feeling that my apartment will get crummy ATT reception, however I'm going to get the new iphone anyhow and give it a shot. I'm pretty sure I have 30 days to return it if it does wind up being useless in my home. Rather than go through the whole phone number switch process (I have T-mobile) and potentially have to go back to my original carrier if I wind up returning it, can i just receive a new phone number at sign up and then port over my existing number once I decide I'm going to keep it? I'm just trying to save myself the headache of going back to my old carrier if I hate it and pray I get back the sweet plan I'm currently on. Any info would be fantastic! Thanks...

-Mike

2. animenick65 macrumors 6502

This is actually an excellent question. I'm in the same boat. Do we have 30 days to return the iphone if the service in the area sucks? I will actually be paying an EFT so this is pretty important. Going back to my carrier would suck bad.

3. gandalf18 macrumors member

Yes, you can port your current number over at a later time.

And yes, you have 30 days to test the service. If you do return the phone and cancel the service you will have to pay a restocking fee on the phone.

4. mikebttf thread starter macrumors newbie

5. mikebttf thread starter macrumors newbie

6. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

I wanted to know about this too. Ive had my number for like 4 or 5 years.

7. animenick65 macrumors 6502

I spoke to two people at my local ATT store twice and they both said that you can get a new number with a new iPhone, then if you decide you like the service they can port your number at any time. Just remember that you will still have to keep service on your existing number and carrier so in essence you will have two phones for a week or however long it takes you to decide.

8. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Awesome. Thanks.

9. mikebttf thread starter macrumors newbie